wood flooring

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NikNak

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

Has the 'fashion' for laminate and wood flooring all but died..?

We used to have a myriad of flooring shops here in Southampton... not any more :shock: where have they all gone and why.?

Yes i know you can buy online, but i'm the type of person that likes to see and feel the product before he buys. And yes, i know you can get samples, but again i want to see the whole plank or even pack of planks to get an idea of colour(s) / feel / texture etc.

And because there doesn't seem to be many retailers left selling it, the prices seems to have gone gone up too.....

Any thoughts..?

Nick

I think its become less fashionable; perhaps associated with cheap B & Q plasticky rubbish. Which is a bit unfair because in many ways its superior to wooden floors. As to the move away from the high street well thats across the board.

I still do a bit of laminate fitting. Got one to do for my nephew soon, but i do agree that the heyday is over and all the myriad shops have disappeared now. I usually buy mine from Howdens or Howarth Timber, so makes no difference to me that places like Floors to Go and others are no longer around. There are still plenty of places to buy it but a lot of companies have now gone online, as it makes them more competitive. That applies to a lot of products nowadays though.

Well it would appear the answer is 'Yes'.... the fashion for wooden floors or laminates is over...

Have visited some of the remaining shops and it seems the latest thing is now LVT.... thats Luxury Vinyl Tiling to you and me. Basically stiff 'planks' of lino that click together like laminate, but look like wood. Allegedly as good as laminate and harder wearing than wood. Not for me thank you... i want wood.

Back