Moderators: Random Orbital Bob, nev, CHJ, Noel, Charley

By Gozoman
I have an old Wolf Bench Grinder Model No. TG6D, serial No. 892343 and one of the tool rests has broken. I gave it to my cousin who can fix most things but he said he had no luck trying to fix it. I know I could go out and buy a new grinder but this one belonged to my father and they were far better made back then than the things you buy now. Does anyone know where I could find a replacement tool rest as I'm not having much luck so far? I have attached a photo of the one on the other side.
Attachments
Wolf grinder tool rest.jpg
By Myfordman
From the marks round the hexagon, I think this is a pressure die-casting and nigh on impossible to repair.

I'd be looking to fabricate one as I think you will have zero chance of locating a spare one.
By Gozoman
Myfordman wrote:From the marks round the hexagon, I think this is a pressure die-casting and nigh on impossible to repair.

I'd be looking to fabricate one as I think you will have zero chance of locating a spare one.

Yeah my cousin said it can't be welded and it can't be brazed. I was hoping someone had an old grinder lying in a corner with the tool rests going spare I suppose. I can go out tomorrow and buy a new grinder but this one was my late father's so it has more meaning, plus they are better made than the new ones.
By sunnybob
keep it for sentimental reasons by all means, but put it in a cupboard and buy new. Its a grinder, not a delicate scientific instrument. And new grinders come with full replacement guarantees if you get a dodgy one.
By Rhyolith
Don't give up on it yet! I have a wolf grinder and it has an improvised tool reast that looks easy to make (it came with it, i didn't make it). Will post a picture in a bit.
By heimlaga
No way you should scrap an old Wolf only because a tool rest is broken.
Fabricating a new tool rest isn't very difficult. Converting a chineese piece of junk into a functional bench grinder is a lot harder.

The tool rest can be make by the simplified method suggested by Rhyolith or as a technical copy of the old one. It will not look the same but it will work the same way.

It isn't very difficult to drill a round hole in a piece of thick walled steel tubing or solid mild steel and file ot hexagonal. Just like I did when I made the shaw guard for my l'Invincibile T160 spindle moulder
Attachments
l'invincibile54.JPG
By worn thumbs
Wolf made excellent machines and if the grinder means a lot to you,it may be worth taking the time to fix it.Given that you need a hexagonal hole,would a car boot sale spanner be a donor for the bottom end?It might need annealing but you could get your practical buddy to weld to it.
By Gozoman
worn thumbs wrote:Wolf made excellent machines and if the grinder means a lot to you,it may be worth taking the time to fix it.Given that you need a hexagonal hole,would a car boot sale spanner be a donor for the bottom end?It might need annealing but you could get your practical buddy to weld to it.

That could be an idea!
By Inspector
A 6 point socket (hexagonal) would be better than a wrench I think.

If I were doing it though I would get some aluminium bar or plate and bandsaw it to shape after drilling and filing the hole. Do the tapped one before shaping too.

Pete
By JamesLam
It seems like the tool post set-up is an issue on this model. Either the post is lost, the end casting is broken or the rest is removed and/or lost.

The grinder is still made in India to this day by under the Ralli Wolf brand. Has anyone had luck trying to get spares or if they are compatible?