Wiping varnish for kitchen tops?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beau

Established Member
Reaction score
Our American walnut wortops are looking tired and need some love. Originally I used Liberon finishing oil but instead of wiping off all the excess left a surface cover. It looked like it was lightly varnished and and has been fantastically hard waring considering the abuse we give it. Now I have seen on here mention that drying oils and varnishes are pretty much the same thing so wondering if it might be easier and tougher using a varnish wiped on?

Any tips and varnish brands to do this would be most welcome. Not settled on this for a finish yet so if there are any great new products that are suitable I am all ears. I do want something that will have the depth of colour oils bring out and plenty of protection from water as we are not the best at drying things off after washing up.

Thanks

John Brown":17ftz4jm said:
I use Osmo top oil.

+1 for a hard wax oil. We have oak worktops that have been there for a decade. I just refinished them at the weekend - an hour's sanding, 2 coats of Osmo Polyx and they look the same as they did when they were installed. You can just wipe extra finish on patches as the finish wears through.

John Brown":1qitpccq said:
I believe it's very similar. Their website may be more use than me.

Thanks. Probably not for me then. I know it's not fashionable but I quite like a slightly glossy finish. My experience with Osmo Poly X was it left a very matt finish. Great for some jobs but not what I am wanting on our kitchen tops.

They do have glossier versions besides their flat matt affair. It's great stuff :)

Nelsun":1ni3s87y said:
They do have glossier versions besides their flat matt affair. It's great stuff :)

My experience with it has not been good. I did our coffee table with it and it didn't have much depth of colour and has marked far worse than the overly thick Liberon finishing oil on our worktops. It does look like a thin varnish but the level of protection has far exceeded the Osmo.

Beau":fwu50qsb said:
John Brown":fwu50qsb said:
I believe it's very similar. Their website may be more use than me.

Thanks. Probably not for me then. I know it's not fashionable but I quite like a slightly glossy finish. My experience with Osmo Poly X was it left a very matt finish. Great for some jobs but not what I am wanting on our kitchen tops.

I use the Satin finish Polyx - there is a definite shine. Like a very well waxed piece of furniture. I also have some Bona Hard Wax oil and that gives a more varnish looking finish

Peterm1000":3630dre4 said:
John Brown":3630dre4 said:
I use Osmo top oil.

+1 for a hard wax oil. We have oak worktops that have been there for a decade. I just refinished them at the weekend - an hour's sanding, 2 coats of Osmo Polyx and they look the same as they did when they were installed. You can just wipe extra finish on patches as the finish wears through.

Hi

Would you mind posting a pic of the worktop with that finish? I'm currently in the planning stage, and was pondering this very thing with oak.

Only if it's no bother though.

Thanks

I did a window sill make over for a customer last weekend, used solid Kerruing and finished it with Osmo PolyX Tints - Honey (3071).

I was a little concerned about the colour of the bare timber as it was a little grey and cold but the PolyX transformed it, lovely warm colour and a mid satin sheen to it.

Customer was chuffed too, so that's a bonus.

Seems almost everyone likes Poly X except me. You guys can recommend it all you like but I am not going to use after previous experience. Once bitten and all that. No other oil I have ever used was so disappointing for darker woods. I would take Teak, Danish or Finishing oil over it any day of week and save a few quid to boot.

I found this post when search wiping varnish that might explain what I see when looking at Osmo.

"A word about Osmo of which I am not a fan for furniture although I will happily use it on internal doors and suchlike.

The point about furniture so far as I am concerned is that it is designed to be beautiful both in terms of its design and the way it uses the qualities of the wood it is made from to enhance that beauty. Ordinary oil based polys are completely clear in the tin and that translates into the finish on the wood, so none of the inherent beauty of the wood is diminished by the finish; indeed, the addition of a smooth clear coat on the surface can enhance those qualities by preventing the diffraction of light reflected from the wood by its inherently unsmooth cellular surface structure. Conversely, the opacity of Osmo in the tin translates to the wood by dulling the return of light from the wood surface. This is most apparent on highly lustrous woods such as rippled sycamore but is evident to some degree with any of the hardwoods you would want to use for a really nice piece of furniture. The fact that ordinary polys are both cheaper and more durable is a bonus."

disco_monkey79":2buj2u48 said:
Peterm1000":2buj2u48 said:
John Brown":2buj2u48 said:
I use Osmo top oil.

Hi

Would you mind posting a pic of the worktop with that finish? I'm currently in the planning stage, and was pondering this very thing with oak.

Only if it's no bother though.

Thanks

Here you go... hopefully you can see the sheen. This is the satin finish.

Attachments

• 20190228_211728.jpg
    20190228_211728.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 217
Beau":jdelzwqs said:

I've been playing around with wax finish acrylic varnish over the last couple of days. I'm quite impressed with it, the beauty being that you can apply several coats quite rapidly...but, a better finish is achieved when it's applied thinly with a cloth (as opposed to a brush) and cut down with 600g Abranet 'twixt each coat. Four coats gives a decent satin/gloss finish, finally cutting back the last coat with 0000g steel wool - Rob

English oak with a glossy finish, grain pops amazingly well. Osmo Poly X gloss, I didn't fill the grain as I wanted the texture.

IMG_20190429_121946.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20190429_121946.jpg
    IMG_20190429_121946.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 155
Back