Wine wall

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doctor Bob

Established Member
Reaction score
One of the latest trends is a wine wall. A place to store and showcase your wine. We did this one in a dining room. the centre has big 10mm thick glass doors, you can just see the cut out handle in it, behind the glass the wall is clad in a very expensive granite (can't remember the name)
The timber is oak with a dark chocolate sprayed on stain with a natural semi sheen lacquer finish. The oak was all wire brushed to raise the grain.
The little doors and baseline doors are all push to open.
ni0JYt8.jpg

zTbN3P6.jpg

bCBj9bA.jpg

Nothing wrong with Lidl wine. in the last fortnight I have drunk 3 different wines, ranging from £3 (Lidl on offer) a bottle to over £20 a bottle. The lidl was hands down the best.

Hey Bob

Love the unit and especially the lighting effect left and right - how did you do that and what lighting did you use? I'm just embarking on a kitchen build where 2 cabinets will be full length display and frankly wouldn't mind ripping off your idea.

BTW the link goes to a kitchen build.

Cheers

Rorschach":2t2dougp said:
Nothing wrong with Lidl wine. in the last fortnight I have drunk 3 different wines, ranging from £3 (Lidl on offer) a bottle to over £20 a bottle. The lidl was hands down the best.

Yep I agree.
I didn't intend to rubbish Lidl wine as some of it is very good indeed, just the price. A pretty poor attempt at humour on my part really following on from suggestion they couldn't afford a decent floor. :oops: I could see the funny side of someone perhaps proudly displaying £3 a bottle wine in an expensive bespoke showcase

Heh heh. My wine rack is in the back of the cupboard under the stairs. I have to be almost as athletic, though not nearly so elegant, to retrieve an interesting bottle !

Do these wine walls have some sort of climate control ?

useless without a lock on it. :)

are the ones still in paper cheap and the don't want to show the label?

my wine rack is the COOP, saves me having to store it till I'm ready to drink it. :D

doctor Bob":2gzdz6u5 said:
The oak was all wire brushed to raise the grain.

This is absolutely where the furniture market is today; scorching, wire brushing , scrubbing or carving to deliver textured and tactile surfaces.

Barnsley Scorched Oak Desk 2.jpg

Barnsley Scorched Oak Desk 1.jpg

Barnsley Scorched Oak Side Table 1 .jpg

Texturing-02.jpg

When I talk to makers about what they're working on it's often this, or one to watch for the future, plain and austere cabinetry but with sumptuous and extravagantly gorgeous interiors.

Attachments

• Barnsley Scorched Oak Desk 2.jpg
    Barnsley Scorched Oak Desk 2.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 1,191
  • Barnsley Scorched Oak Desk 1.jpg
    Barnsley Scorched Oak Desk 1.jpg
    177.2 KB · Views: 1,191
  • Barnsley Scorched Oak Side Table 1 .jpg
    Barnsley Scorched Oak Side Table 1 .jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 1,191
  • Texturing-02.jpg
    Texturing-02.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 1,191
I don't get it. As soon as you open one of those bottles the display is messed up!

mbartlett99":gpol6c0w said:
Hey Bob

Love the unit and especially the lighting effect left and right - how did you do that and what lighting did you use? I'm just embarking on a kitchen build where 2 cabinets will be full length display and frankly wouldn't mind ripping off your idea.

BTW the link goes to a kitchen build.

Cheers
There is a very slight shadow gap 'tween the sides and the back panel, but NOT where the shelves meet it - one must assume there is an LED strip running down either side wired to a low voltage transformer.

That's how I'd have done it anyway.

I wonder if the stone slab at the back is part of a temperature regulation system? Rather clever and elegent solution if it is.

custard":1s8s9pl0 said:
doctor Bob":1s8s9pl0 said:
The oak was all wire brushed to raise the grain.

This is absolutely where the furniture market is today; scorching, wire brushing , scrubbing or carving to deliver textured and tactile surfaces.

When I talk to makers about what they're working on it's often this, or one to watch for the future, plain and austere cabinetry but with sumptuous and extravagantly gorgeous interiors.

I've always loved the Shou Sugi Ban / ebonised, sandblasted and related looks that have been around since the 30's from cabinetmakers like George Frank - and the POP that you get when you open a door or drawer of a cabinet finished in that manner, to reveal a starkly contrasting interior. It's almost "naughty" - the evocation of an austere looking businesswoman in an impeccably tailored black trouser suit, who nontheless has a twinkle in her eye, and were you lucky enough to be allowed, would undress her to find the finest red silk underwear.

oohh boy... is it hot in here?

Hi,
Yes shadow gap at the back with LED ribbon hidden in the gap (be careful if you fit mirrors as you will have to hide it deeper).

Wire racks were found online somewhere, paperwork at accountants.

Back