Will beeswax application improve surface grip over osmo?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tetsuaiga

Established Member
Reaction score
I have finished a piece of cherry with osmo oil, but find the surface too is too slippers for my liking.

I seem to remember reading once that beeswax finish give some degree of grip but can't remember where I saw that.

Does anyone know? I suppose sanding the surface with a lower grip would help too but I would rather avoid damaging the finish if I can.

Thanks

What is the application? Beeswax will show up fingermarks and if not buffed will look awful. It will end up sticky, which although not slippery is probably not your aim.

It's a table to put a musical instrument on, so won't be touched or have any other use. Would it be sticky even if i hadn't applied the osmo before?

Most wax polishes when applied thinly and buffed out make a surface more slippery, not less. They'll also noticeably increase the gloss in case that's an issue.

Blends of oil and wax can reduce slip because they're relatively soft, they're not the most durable or hard-wearing finish but one of those may do what you want. These tend to produce a satin or semi-matt finish.

Does the musical instrument sit directly on the table or is there a stand of some sort? Grippy feet or a small bit of non-slip shelf liner may be the ideal solution here.

I'm surprised to read this, I've finished plenty of Cherry with Osmo and I've never found lack of grip/excessive slipperiness to be a problem. Osmo was originally developed for finishing wooden floors, it really isn't all that slippery. To be honest I doubt you'll find a finish that, on its own, improves matters.

Back