Why Is My Scroll Saw Rattling?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NazNomad

Established Member
Reaction score
My beloved Delta 40-540 recently developed a nasty rattle.

I will post a pic of the worn & new parts just to extol the virtues of regular lubrication. :-D

100_0279.jpg

This is one end of the rear-link between the top & bottom arms, the other end of the link was worn the same. In all, it was probably getting on for 10mm of play in the whole mechanism.

Besides the rattle, it was still functioning perfectly. :shock:

"Back in the day" Hobbies standard pitman was a piece of wood (beech, IIRC).

But they sold an optional upgrade, a metal pitman with a ball bearing.

BugBear

Whats a "pitman" ?

Never heard the term before (apart from the obvious ;-)

bugbear":1t2aotjg said:
"Back in the day" Hobbies standard pitman was a piece of wood (beech, IIRC).

But they sold an optional upgrade, a metal pitman with a ball bearing.

BugBear

Isn't the pitman arm the bit that connects the spinnyround bit to the uppydown bit?

I suppose those old saws had a nice spring to take up the progressive slack due to the wooden part wearing out?

NazNomad":1agkwln8 said:
Isn't the pitman arm the bit that connects the spinnyround bit to the uppydown bit?

I suppose those old saws had a nice spring to take up the progressive slack due to the wooden part wearing out?
Nope - I guess wood is cheap enough that you just fit a new one.

BugBear

Did you have to order the spares from the USA Naz or is there are supplier in the UK? from what i have heard about the Deltas they seem to be built like a tank.
Cheers and glad ya got it sorted

Brian

Yeah, remortgaged and ordered from ereplacementparts.com in the USA. Only took a week to get here though.

It was probably something I could have made myself, but sometimes life is just too short.

could be worth case hardening (steel dependent, but you could add carbon easy enough) both parts or taking the old ones and adding a bronze bushing, either would be an improvement, both would be total overkill for a part that it appears takes a very long time to wear.

If none of the above work Naz, then just put on some Bill Haley on the boombox and you can

Shake, Rattle and Scroll

:twisted:

Mine, and probably all scroll saws have a "critical speed", it's natural resonance, and at that speed they will vibrate like mad! You have to operate either above or below that speed.

Back