White Goods - Efficiency

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dibs-h

Established Member
Reaction score
Sort of carrying on from DevonWoody's post about electrical\energy tariffs - it's worth looking at the energy efficiency of some of your household appliances.

I bought one of those plug in usage meters -
ENER007_NEW_d.jpg

and plugged our fridge freezer into it - being the oldest item in the house. Got a shock when I realised just how much 'leccy it was using. It's about 20yrs old - runs perfectly fine tho.

2 weeks and it used almost 53kWh. That's about 1/4 of what a modern A+++ one should use.

So bought one and swapped the old one out. Old one uses about 1400kWh a year and the new one is rated at 190kWh. Expect to pay for the new one, just from the 'leccy saving in less than 4yrs.

Thought to mention it as most of us only look at the white goods when they stop working.

Dibs

2 weeks and it used almost 53kWh. That's about 1/4 of what a modern A+++ one should use?

I bought one them from Maplins - I never found anyone who could work out how to use it. I took it back to the store and no one there could explain how to use it, and when I got hold of head office and told them the instructions were impenetrable they sent me back a copy of the same instructions. I threw it away unused. :D

In all fairness, the brand shown (not that I have any allegiance to it) - bought online from B&Q (click and collect as not available in store) was dead easy to setup. Plenty of videos on YouTube on how to do it.

And works spot on.

Back