which scroll chuck should I get for my coronet minor?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ridethewave

Established Member
Reaction score
Having bought the coronet minor recently and got it mounted and working, and turned a couple of small bowls I see the need for a scroll chuck. I believe that my spindle size is 3/4" by 16 tpi. I have plenty of wood available...mostly in different states of dryness.
It is all a learning curve. I am drawn to wanting to turn larger bowls mostly and have a source of plenty of wood(not fully dry)
The minor has a swivel headstock and can therefore turn up to 14" diameter using the add on rest attatchment(which I have )and the add on pully wheel to slow the speed down(which I also have and is up and running).
So which scroll chuck should I go for assuming I want to turn large greenwood bowls?( and also smaller bowls and boxes and mushrooms etc).

Thanks...John

Which chuck? Any wood turning scroll chuck will fit the bill but avoid those that only come with stepped jaws. They are more suitable for metal.
I posted a summary of wood turning chucks back in 2014
- https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/wood ... 76139.html
Look also to possible future needs as in the range of jaws available. Also is the chuck direct threaded to fit the lathe or does it have an insert which can be changed if you get another lathe?
If you need a manual & other literature showing all the attachments drop me an email.
Edit: for the Coronet.

The tool post Versa Chuck is a good option, similar to the Axi precision which is no longer available. Well made and priced versatile and can take various manufacturers jaws.

Thanks guys I looked into the versachuck and notice that some people complain about needing 3 hands for using the tommy bars.
I've also just been looking up the nova g3 which seems reasonable.
Any views out there on the nova g3 with 50mm jaws?

Those complaints cannot be about the versa chuck, suggest you check again.
I have had the versa chuck for 15 years and yet to see anything that comes close to matching it.

Guys

I have two different sized Record chucks, bought during their Summer or Winter dals. They have a good choice of jaws and I have a Coronet Major they give no trouble there!

Phi

Ridethewave":sb2u11ns said:
I looked into the versachuck and notice that some people complain about needing 3 hands for using the tommy bars.
The Versachuck doesn't use tommy bars at all, so not a valid review.
They're a decent chuck when used with OEM jaws, but right now are unavailable and have been for some months, so it might be a long wait to get one.
Try looking at the Record SC4, a good chuck at a decent price, but also uses interchangeable thread inserts so if you change your lathe all you need is a new insert. Record often do 'show deals' so call a dealer and see what this week's price is.

The Versachuck uses an 8mm square key according to the Toolpost website.

The Nova G3 is (I believe) essentially the same chuck as the Record SC3 but with threaded inserts rather than direct threaded.
The SC3 with 50mm jaws is currently on offer for £90 + p & p, which includes a wood screw & a 50mm faceplate.
- http://www.yandles.co.uk/tools-machines ... hucks/c583
If you decide to get one make sure you choose the correct thread.
Although a couple of mm under 4" & very light, it is capable of holding up to 14" blanks - according to the blurb.
I bought mine from the above link & find the chuck as capable as any my others which include Axminster & Rutlands. Occasionally The chuck key passes through a hole in the body & has to be at 90° to get it to locate. Occasionally I have to give it a little wiggle to get it in line.

Thanks All.
I see my mistake about versachuck. I had been looking at an article about versachuck model t...oops.
I have looked up the record sc3 and watched some youtube vids and am happy with that.
Also looked at the sc4 vids and see it as an option as I think I'll tend towards larger bowls than smaller items.
So the sc4 is bigger and weighs more...
As a newbie to woodturning will the larger chuck be ok on my 1/2hp coronet minor lathe or are there good reasons why I should stick with the smaller sc3?
Price difference £30
will it put added strain to the lathe? bearings? etc

Thanks John

I personally would go for the biggest chuck, ensure you can change the back plate then if you upgrade your lathe at a later date you can just change said plate and use on another lathe.

That will do you well. Not sure if you will manage bowls larger than 14" on the Coronet Minor though.
Offer of manual & literature for the Minor still stands if you give me your email address. :)

Hi Robbo. Thanks for the offer of the manual etc. I don't need them as you gave them to me about two weeks ago.
They were very useful as now I realise what the extra bits are. Mainly the pulley wheel for slowing down the speed for when you are doing larger work. You are correct about not being able to do work larger than 14" diameter.... with the addon brackets for when you swivel the headstock. If you rigged up a floor mounted tool rest however you could go larger as the headstock now is over the front of the bench so work could be about 6ft diameter! I suspect that 14" will be fine for now.
Thanks Robbo

John

Hi Robbo,

I've just got a Coronet Minor in fairly rough shape that I'm picking up this week. I want to get it back into good order and start using it to do some proper turning. I've 'knocked up' a basic lathe from an old drill and wood that I've enjoyed using to make some spindles, candlesticks and a couple of beakers and x-mas decoration things.
I've followed this thread about chucks and face-plates which have given food for thought (though in due time I guess). However I note that you said you have more information regarding the Minor? Is it possible to get anything you have to help me restoring my old machine back to working state?

Thanks for your time and info on these pages already, best wishes,
Vic.

Latest posts

Back