Moderators: Random Orbital Bob, nev, CHJ, Noel, Charley

By rupert
Hi all,

I'm soon to be making some fitted wardrobes out of 18mm MFC.

What is the best screw to use, one that will drive straight in without pre-drilling?

Also what size should I use? So head size as well as length..

Thanks
By srp
I do a lot of work in mdf and I always pre-drill, especially when going into an edge. Lots of different types will work - I've used plasterboard screws, Spax and Screwfix gold secrews, usually 4mm and length to suit.
By Louise-Paisley
Not had much experience, but I think nearly every time I have attempted to screw into the edge of chipboard or MDF without a pilot hole it has ended in tears.
By rupert
Louise...I saw a pro fitted wardrobe team at work once, and they didn't do any pilot hole, they just screwed them straight through and the screw countersunk itself too..
By Pete Maddex
Hi, Rupert

50mm chipboard screws or any other 3.5mm coarse threaded screws in pre drilled and countersunk holes, and keep away from the edges of the board.

Pete
By Pete Maddex
rupert wrote:Louise...I saw a pro fitted wardrobe team at work once, and they didn't do any pilot hole, they just screwed them straight through and the screw countersunk itself too..

Don't sound like pros to me.

Pete
By rupert
Hmmm...so you are saying they should have piloted? These guys install hundreds of wardrobes a year and the workmanship is of good quality..

The guys at this website say the following:

"build the cabinets with screws. Still probably the quickest way since as soon as a screw is driven home it is ready and the cabinet won’t need clamping. (When we say screws we mean hi-tech modern screws that are so good you can drive them into the edge of an MDF board without the need to pre-drill – example here. You won’t be able to buy these in B&Q and they cost 3 times the cost of a conventional wood screw. We include these screws in our kits.)"

http://diywardrobes.co.uk/wp/?paged=2
By Roughcut
I class myself as an amateur, but I still pre-drill mdf or chipboard and clamp the 2 pieces together before screwing.
As I have found it's a reliable method that works for me.
Also it's worth bearing in mind that the quality of available mdf and chipboard is variable.
By Louise-Paisley
rupert wrote:Louise...I saw a pro fitted wardrobe team at work once, and they didn't do any pilot hole, they just screwed them straight through and the screw countersunk itself too..

That seems like a very un-pro like action to me, but then having worked in the construction industry for many years I have seen a HUGE decline in standards of workmanship so what may now pass for a professional would some years ago have been called a cowboy.

I am new to woodworking so do not pretend to have the answers, but as I have said almost every time I have put screws into the edge of chipboard or MDF it has split right away or has split within a short period of time. Given that it takes but a few seconds to fire a pilot hole in before putting the screw in it just seems quite pointless to skip the step to me ;)
By Louise-Paisley
Also it would seem that those special high quality expensive screws are actually half the price of the Spax screws I most often use.. How odd
By rupert
OK i think i'll stick to using the countersink, pilot then drive home method...Maybe these guys need to save time and so use expensive screws so they dont need to pilot, but i'm not too bothered so will use normal cheaper screws.

Are quicksilver screws good? Or should I go for spax of gold screws from screwfix? is 6mm*2inch a good screw to use? Or go longer?

http://www.screwfix.com/p/quicksilver-c ... tid=594032