Which 2nd hand table saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coupster

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all, id like some advice please - I know this subject has been covered in many forms but I hope to get some more opinions anyway.

I'm after a very high quality/accurate table saw, I would prefer 2nd hand due to budget which could go to £1000 - I only have single phase so that budget needs to include either a new single phase motor or a vfd?

It would be nice to be able to cope with panels for that "just in case" time but possibly not a deal breaker.

Also I am wondering if any of the saws can be fitted with a dado blade?

Space and weight is not an issue.

Obviously need a saw which still has parts obtainable.

What do I need to look for when buying one 2nd hand? Or are they pretty much bomb proof?

Look forward to any ideas.
Thanks

Does it need to be 2nd hand?

This looks very nice https://www.scosarg.com/itech-01332-250mm-cast-iron-table-saw-bench and comes with 2 wings and it's under budget. There's also a couple of package deals with a table saw and dust extraction for just over £1k.

I often sit drooling over them, but I've no experience of the saw itself. I seem to remember someone here purchased one recently..

Thanks for the link, I have a look.

It doesn't have to be 2nd hand, I just wrongly or rightly assumed I'd get a better quality saw?

A number of us have and love the Wadkin AGS10. I have the standard version without wings, and it cost a bit over £200 for the saw (I was a bit lucky there) and £440 for the 415V 3-phase VFC. Extremely happy with it, so even with a higher price (there is a more recent model, which is better as the riving knife moves with the rise and fall) it's well within your budget. And you should be able to include wings or perhaps a sliding table (that's a different model number).

The cut is really accurate and the finish good. The three-phase controller can be set up for soft start, and stop within about 8 seconds. A motor conversion would also be in the budget, but I like the three-phase drive.

Thanks for the reply, sounds like what I'm after really, also sounds like you got bit of a bargain...think I need to be patient, not something I'm too good at.
I prefer the extra mass that the older tables have over something new (within my price range anyway)

To help provide some suggestions, what is the largest floor size you can devote to a table Saw? You need to consider both when it is to be used as a standard ripping Saw and also as a panel saw. To work it out you need to also consider the amount of room you have in front and behind of the Saw when ripping and at either side for panel cutting.
Will it be used for cutting down full sized sheets, or just final trimming of panels. Will you be regularly ripping 14’ lengths or will it be something shorter.

The Startrite DS275 is probably the smallest foot print Saw that will Rip 105mm thickness and do panels by adding extensions. It’s a brilliant Saw and highl y regarded.

The Sedgwick 315 is also a brilliant Saw, larger foot print, but the fence on the sliding table does not store away very well.

The Sedgwick LK Saw is older slightly larger and can RIP125mm thickness. They also come with sliding tables. Very few spares, but nothing really to go wrong!

Wadkin lovely saws and similar to the Sedgwick for utility.

For a serious panel cutting you need a proper panel saw with a scoring blade. Probably the most compact SCM SI15F which is not that much bigger than a Sedgwick LK, but in a totally different league.

All of the saws I’ve highlighted I’ve owned / used and all can be bought for under £1K depending on condition / a little work by you.

The other option is to go for a compact table top / contractor Saw or a Track Saw and see if that doesn’t fully cover all of your needs. Many people work exclusively with either one of these for everything they do.

coupster":16yzbskq said:
Thanks for the reply, sounds like what I'm after really, also sounds like you got bit of a bargain...think I need to be patient, not something I'm too good at.
I prefer the extra mass that the older tables have over something new (within my price range anyway)

I was rather lucky with the price, I think people were off guard that week. But they do come up fairly regularly and patience will pay off. Be prepared to do some dismantling and rebuilding if necessary, and there are plenty of examples on this forum that you can follow, and people who know a lot about these machines.

It might seem odd to spend more on the three-phase converter than the saw itself. But it has been worth it (mine was from Direct Drives). Unless you are a total whizz at rewiring motors, you can't use the much cheaper 240V converters.

I don't do panel work on the saw. The shed isn't big enough for a start. I either get panels cut at the store, or use a circular saw on trestles for the first cutting to size. Sliding table would be the perfect way to go, but for occasional work, good extension tables should work fine. But I'm not the person to advise on this.

yes, the Startrite and Sedgwick are excellent saws also.

I wont need to regularly use it for panels, it was really just for when/if I do need to, I hate buying tools twice so in an ideal world would like something that is capeable just in case. So a sliding table would be good but a dedicated panel saw is probably not necessary.

I am not whizz with electrics so will go down the same route as you have done.

I have a smaller contractor saw but now its time for a stepup.

So I have a few choices then it seems, wadkin, Sedgewick and startrite.

ScaredyCat":2s7fqb2p said:

This looks very nice https://www.scosarg.com/itech-01332-250mm-cast-iron-table-saw-bench and comes with 2 wings and it's under budget. There's also a couple of package deals with a table saw and dust extraction for just over £1k.

I often sit drooling over them, but I've no experience of the saw itself. I seem to remember someone here purchased one recently..

Wow cast iron table and cast iron extensions as well, sound like a bit of a bargain, especially from Scott and Sargent who I understand will honour any guarantee, I would go for it, rather than an unknown quantity in second hand.

Mike

I didn't think you could get a 415v VFD without knowing your stuff.
You would be able to get a £100 VFD to work on the Startrite DS275 (which I have)
and basically not need to know any more than how to wire a 13a plug.
as these machines have dual voltage motors which I run on 13a plug...
(220/240v on the motor nameplate, AKA "Delta" low voltage mode or the "triangle symbol"

The next considerations when the ability to power them is out of the equation, would be....
Can the machine mount a riving knife?
Does the blade tilt away from the fence?
How much capacity does it have?
The Startrite is a winner here in all aspects, and it also has a slot in each side of the table for crosscut sleds...
that could probably be sorted other ways if you needed it to though.

Tom

A
What looks to be a lovely SCM SC3 has appeared on Gumtree for an asking price of £800. If you accommodate it it would I’m sure be a wonderful Saw for you. I’d send this as a message if I could have found where the message system has gone to! Good luck.

I’m not selling the Saw or know the person who is it’s located in Bristol.

Ttrees":4jxnea9a said:
I didn't think you could get a 415v VFD without knowing your stuff.
You would be able to get a £100 VFD to work on the Startrite DS275 (which I have)
and basically not need to know any more than how to wire a 13a plug.
as these machines have dual voltage motors which I run on 13a plug...
(220/240v on the motor nameplate, AKA "Delta" low voltage mode or the "triangle symbol"

The next considerations when the ability to power them is out of the equation, would be....

Tom

Yes, you can buy a 415 VFD that plugs into the mains, from Drives Direct. It is easy to wire in, and they have a very good engineer who will talk you through it if you get a problem. I have three of them now (Wadkin, Arboga miller and Boley lathe) and have had no trouble. This is what you will need if the motor plate only says 415V. BUT these run £400 ish depending on the power.

If it says 415/240V then the cheaper 240V VFD is fine. You have to make sure the right terminals are selected inside the connection box (star or delta). There are other posts here that tell you how to do that and I've never done it, so won't try to tell you.

deema":27q2wo7l said:
I’d send this as a message if I could have found where the message system has gone to!
  • Click the user's avatar.
  • Click the envelope.

deema":2dja0a31 said:
A
What looks to be a lovely SCM SC3 has appeared on Gumtree for an asking price of £800. If you accommodate it it would I’m sure be a wonderful Saw for you. I’d send this as a message if I could have found where the message system has gone to! Good luck.

I’m not selling the Saw or know the person who is it’s located in Bristol.

Thanks for that, sounds good, but ive had a search but cannot find it unfortunately....edit, Found it!! Thanks

MikeJhn":1eewwxim said:
ScaredyCat":1eewwxim said:

Wow cast iron table and cast iron extensions as well, sound like a bit of a bargain, especially from Scott and Sargent who I understand will honour any guarantee, I would go for it, rather than an unknown quantity in second hand.

Mike

What did you think of the above?

And to prove I read your first post to the end, Dado blades are generally not available for most European table saws as the arbour is not long enough, however some saw blades are fitted with bolt on blades which can obviously have a longer bolt fitted, there is also a blade available with a 3mm kerf and up to 8mm tooth profile, though in limited dia.

Mike

Well done ScaredyCat good find.

To summarise, as with most, if not all table saws this one suffers from lack of dust extraction and a riving knife taller than the blade, not that these issues cannot be addressed, Arbour is too short for a Dado blade, not that I use one, but a professional drum maker is more than happy with his acquisition.

Mike

MikeJhn":1xwhkbv6 said:
MikeJhn":1xwhkbv6 said:
ScaredyCat":1xwhkbv6 said:

Mike

What did you think of the above?

And to prove I read your first post to the end, Dado blades are generally not available for most European table saws as the arbour is not long enough, however some saw blades are fitted with bolt on blades which can obviously have a longer bolt fitted, there is also a blade available with a 3mm kerf and up to 8mm tooth profile, though in limited dia.

Mike

It does look very good value, and with the warranty, I have nothing I can really say that is negative....don't know why I'm not knocking on their door?

MikeJhn":yub9k5vy said:

Mike

The old Wadkins do take dado blades.

Back