Where to start

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Petey83

Established Member
Reaction score
Now I've got the workshop where I want it I've got some space for a small bench top lathe.

I've never tried turning before or looked at it seriously so no idea what to look for in terms of lathes or tools.

I've got maybe £400 - £500 all in to get going and the lathe needs to be moveable as it'll need to store under my bench when not used.

Help 8)

You can easily spend £500 on tools, a grinder and jig, and a decent chuck.

Get yourself a copy of this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Woodturning-Fo ... 473&sr=8-1 You might find it cheaper but UKWorkshop seems to have had the Sellers effect on the price second hand. Try to join a club - most clubs do free introductory sessions - get some idea what you actually want to do before you commit to buying stuff that's unsuitable for your needs.

Hi Pete
I agree with Phil that it is a good idea to go along to a local woodturning club before you start buying kit. That way you will be able to decide what you want to do in woodturning. For example, some turners concentrate on face plate turning, while others like to make pens, and others like spindle work. It is possible, of course, to do all those things, but your preference may determine your choice of lathe. You can turn pens on small lathes (that might fit under your workbench), but you couldn’t easily turn a three foot table leg on such a lathe. As Phil says, it would be easy to spend £500 on tools and other equipment. You will find that woodturning can eat money. That’s another good reason to join a club. Second hand tools etc are often offered for sale ( people give up, or down size ) , or, like my own club, have discount deals with tool and other suppliers. Experienced turners can offer sound advice about what, or more importantly, what not, to buy. Whatever you do, a great hobby awaits you. Good luck

I recently started out with much the same budget. I agree with the comments that a lathe can consume (well spent) money quite quickly.

In terms of bang for your buck, you might want to look for someone selling off all their gear in one go. It's not uncommon to see bench lathes with lots of accessories and tools going for around the £5-600 mark. If you're very lucky you can sometimes get a spectacular deal this way - I missed out by minutes on someone selling a lathe that sells new for around £3k plus about the same again in accessories. A bit of patience and holding your nerve is the key, and keeping a close eye on all the classified ads you can. Despite how awful they usually are, Facebook's Marketplace is worth looking at as lots of people put deceased relatives gear on there.

I've at least got an 8 inch bench grinder as it's used for my planes and chisels. I'll have to see if there is a club local to me.

Hi Pete,
There is one club in Sawbridgeworth, up the M11 from you. This is also my local club. I know others come to the club from Waltham Cross; not far from you.

Back