Where to buy Plywood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaguar999

Reaction score
Hi Everyone.
I am new to woodworking. I have bought quite a few tools and power tools to start a few projects. I have done a few small projects like loft boarding & ladder and customizing some Ikea products that we already had before moving into our new house a few months back. But now its time that I start some major projects.
I would need Plywood for making under stairs drawers. I need some basic info as to which kind of plywood would be good and where can I find it. I live in Wokingham (Next to Reading)

Basic ply can be had from B&Q up the A33, or at most timber merchants, TBH.
I got a 2400x1200 sheet of 18mm hardwood ply from B&Q for about £38 a couple weeks ago.

If you want decent stuff, try these guys: http://www.creffields.co.uk/
They pride themselves on their Next Day delivery and are jolly nice to newbies looking for small quantities, even single boards.
You can even visit site, if you like.

Tasky":32nrk6wl said:
Basic ply can be had from B&Q up the A33, or at most timber merchants, TBH. I got a 2400x1200 sheet of 18mm hardwood ply from B&Q for about £38 a couple weeks ago.

Picked one up for £36 today, plus the young lad who cut it for me seemed to go above and beyond. He helped me lift the sheets and went through a couple of them until we found one without any warp and then making sure he was cutting it to the exact sizes I wanted.

I've always found it daft that their 610x1220 are so expensive, I can get them to cut 4 out for me from a full sheet and pay £36 , and they had to pay someone to cut it.

It was also amusing to see the look on the cashiers face... she couldn't grasp that the 8, 2400 x 63 x 38 timber were (£2.57 ea) "so cheap". Counted, recounded, scanned and rescanned to make sure. Double check with another cashier. Cheap wood is cheap...

ScaredyCat":26p7nz9r said:
Tasky":26p7nz9r said:
Basic ply can be had from B&Q up the A33, or at most timber merchants, TBH. I got a 2400x1200 sheet of 18mm hardwood ply from B&Q for about £38 a couple weeks ago.

Picked one up for £36 today, plus the young lad who cut it for me seemed to go above and beyond. He helped me lift the sheets and went through a couple of them until we found one without any warp and then making sure he was cutting it to the exact sizes I wanted.

I've always found it daft that their 610x1220 are so expensive, I can get them to cut 4 out for me from a full sheet and pay £36 , and they had to pay someone to cut it.

It was also amusing to see the look on the cashiers face... she couldn't grasp that the 8, 2400 x 63 x 38 timber were (£2.57 ea) "so cheap". Counted, recounded, scanned and rescanned to make sure. Double check with another cashier. Cheap wood is cheap...

I don't think they are cheap.. they used to be £2 a piece before New-years :D even @ £2 price they really weren't that cheap for the ''quality'' you get.

Look on ebay near you for timberyards that stock Ply, I purchased 18mm hardwood ply a few weeks ago @ £24 a sheet for cabinet making - that's the going price.
Try to avoid B&Q for your timber purchases... the 2400 x 63 x 38 is really the only exception which is reasonably priced.

MrDavidRoberts":25yd4884 said:
Look on ebay near you for timberyards that stock Ply, I purchased 18mm hardwood ply a few weeks ago @ £24 a sheet for cabinet making - that's the going price.

I live in Suffolk and I'm having problems locating any timber merchants close enough that don't just deal in timber for fencing etc. eBay would be a great solution if it weren't for the fact that a full sheet costs ~£86 - with "free" delivery. I might have found one about an hour away, but that's 2 hours of my life I'll never get back in travel time alone.

Back