Whats happend to 100/150 grit abrasive disks?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strat

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been looking to re-stock on 100 & 150 grit 2" abrasive discs but can't seem to find any. I thought I would cut my own but 100 & 150 grit seems to have fallen off the earth. Anyone know where they are in stock or the reason why they are no longer available?

I only ever use 120, 180 240 320 400 and 600 grit discs and have not had any problems if you wanted to go coarser then there are 80 grit. All of these give just the right amount of a gap between the grits for a good finish.
Is there a reason for not changing to those

Agreed. The general rule is no more than 100 between grits.
I normally go 80, 120, 180, 240 & finer as required.

If you are cutting yourself into 50+ mm squares there's several links to 115mm wide stock (Mirka etc.) on a google search such as This if you must have 100 grit.

Perhaps 100 grit is not such a popular grit with the majority of turners and this has lead to retail stockists concentrating on those that move quickest and by default wholesalers have stopped providing the option.

Personally as said by others, although 100 grit would by definition be quicker at removing 80grit scratches I have not found any significant extra effort involved in process as my 100 grit stocks ran down and I just renewed with 120.

80 grit does get used regularly but more as a multi faceted cutting tool ( and 100grit when I had stocks) to shape and blend areas that standard lathe gouges wielded by me fail to achieve the shape (how dare you suggest that that's just lack of skill ) rather than a finishing product.

Thanks for your input guys, Chas i appreciate your reasoning and the link. Its not a big deal but I felt it odd suddenly the 100 & 150 disappeared from the market in general.

Dalboy":1wnfhnhc said:
I only ever use 120, 180 240 320 400 and 600 grit discs and have not had any problems if you wanted to go coarser then there are 80 grit. All of these give just the right amount of a gap between the grits for a good finish.
Is there a reason for not changing to those

Agreed Dalboy, this is my go to sanding option as well,

I recently purchased two rolls of Sait velcro backed abrasive from Abtec, of 100 and 150 grit. I have made a (very nearly) 50mm wad punch and have hammered out a dozen or so. The abrasives are excellent from the limited use so far, possibly as good as the Rhynogrip redline.
I have found that using 100, 120, 150, 180, 240 and 320 with the smaller gaps at the coarser grits is probably faster than 120, 180, 240, 320, as the scratches are removed quicker by the coarser grits. This was on some Beech bowls.

It appears The Toolpost still sell 100 and 150 grit. Go to their home page and click "Abrasives" link on the left. They sell it as "abrasive cloth" not sandpaper, which is what I originally searched for on their website.

You're assumption is correct Phil, it is the velcro backed I am looking for. I have used the 100/120/150 and so on combination for ever and a day. Being set in my ways and quite comfortable with this I would like to stick with it as preference. I don't always start with 100 grit, depends on what I am turning. I haven't used 80 grit since my early turning days and sometimes 120 wouldn't do the job.

Latest posts

Back