What would you do with this?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kev

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
i have been given a lump of ash that has some nice spalting and burls on it. The tree was felled about three years ago as the core was rotten but the outside is fine. It was left intact and was cut up this morning. Whilst sitting looking at it in the kitchen and thinking I should probably move that before my better half gets home and 'moves it for me' so to speak, I thought I would see what others would do with it.

IMG_0576.jpg

The ruler is 6" to give you an idea of size and I would say the burl it is resting on is about 10 - 12". There are a couple of smaller ones on it as well which are just about visible I think. Would you remove the burls (I am guessing and bowl or platter) and then use whatever wood is left to make the most of the spalting or would you keep it all intact and make the most of it altogether. The whole thing is about 2 feet x 2 feet which is to big for my lathe and to be honest beyond my abilities at the moment anyway. If I did cut it up is there anything that I should be aware of in cutting it to make the most of it.

IMG_0568.jpg

IMG_0575.jpg

You can see the middle is pretty much gone which does leave a nice shape as well.

Anyway what do people think.

Kev

Mod Edit:- Image links fixed

Attachments

• IMG_0576.jpg
    IMG_0576.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 632
  • IMG_0568.jpg
    IMG_0568.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 632
  • IMG_0575.jpg
    IMG_0575.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 632
It is very difficult to say what is the best from photo's but just put it into storage for a while and think about it. But at first thoughts is see how big a bowl or hollow form you can get from the burr

A lot depends on what your preferred turning projects are, as Derek says I would way up the Burr Bulge and slice it off giving the max volume that can be contained in a Bowl.
The remainders could then be assessed for use as Knobs, Finial embellishments, Segments, Pen & Handle Blanks etc.

I think it is of no use to be honest
I will happily come and collect for my fire store :lol:

Steve

Thanks guys, was along the lines of what I was thinking. I reckon can cut the large burr off and get a good 10" bowl/platter out of it and still get a few large bowls from the rest as well. Took a moisture reading today and it is about 12% so I am guessing probably need to dry out a bit more. Just on the burr is it best to cut this off now and seal it or just leave it as it is at as one lump. My instinct is to chop it up but as its effectively been air drying for over three years already wasn't sure if this changes the approach.

Steve F - nice try! At least your comment was on the untouched lump of ash, if I had posted a picture of something I had turned from it, it may have stung a bit :shock:

!2% moisture should be OK for cutting up, maybe seal as a precaution on long term storage but that's about average for domestic humidity (10-12%) in my experience.

I work with a lot of stuff like that, I love it! It's a bit for me wether it turns out to be a nice piece or throw a away thing, all depending on how soft it is around the spalting. I'd have a go at the burr first though.

Looks fun

Back