What Would You Do........... Mobile lathe cart

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

8squared

Established Member
Reaction score
Building a mobile base for a lathe and can't decide if having fixed wheels on the bottom of it is a good idea or not.

My thinking is it's NOT a good idea to have a lathe spinning at speed while on some small wheels (even though they will be the locking variety) as it could bounce around or possibly cause the locking mechanism to unlock.

My next thought was is there a way to somehow have the cart mobile on wheels and once in location have the cart sit down on its on legs.... and when needing to move again it could be put back on wheels easily.

The cart need will be in and out of my workshed daily which is why i need it movable .

Also what size wheels would be good for something 38KG+... at the moment i have 50mm castors on my planer/thicknesser cart and they do a good job with that.... they are rated to 56KG but being close to that limit with a lathe and wood i doubt they would be the best option.

I wouldn't put it on wheels. 38kgs suggests a smaller lathe, but even these can shake around if slightly out of balance.

would putting it on a small pallet be an option, and moving it with a pallet truck?

your second thought is an option. I have seen something with hinged wheels that flip up, but I can't find the design. This is a slightly more complicated one than I was looking for https://vaughtwoodworks.wordpress.com/2 ... -and-such/

My mobile workbench is made like a barrow with castors on one end only and has slide out handles the other.

The castors are fitted so that they only protrude about 10mm below the proportionally shorter legs.

When in desired location I knock a couple of wedges under the wheel end legs to hold wheels off floor and firm up the bench.
bench.jpg

Attachments

• bench.jpg
    bench.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 42
Back