What tool(s) for smaller items?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

martinjoop

Reaction score
Hi,

I've attached a phone holder I'd like to make.

I'm interested in what tool(s) would be good to purchase to make this. Either power tools or manual.

Thanks.

Attachments

• phone holder.png
    phone holder.png
    134.6 KB · Views: 708
If I were going to try make that I imagine I'd use a No 4 or thereabouts plane, a shooting board (home made) for the edges, a 12" combination square and a crosscut backsaw. You might want a sliding bevel for the angled edge but you could do it by marking in one line with a marking gauge and planing down to it carefully. So that adds up to five tools. I imagine somebody will come along who will point out that you can do it with fewer.

This is the second such thread you've started, Martin. I wonder whether you are approaching this right.

If you are interested in doing woodwork, skills are more important than tools. The simplest, most basic set of tools will allow you to do all sorts, once you have developed the skills, but having all the tools in the world is utterly useless if you don't know how to use them. I suggest that instead of asking about tools-for-jobs, you organise to acquire a basic set of hand tools and a bench. At that point you can start asking the only useful question: how do I make this?

Most phone holders are an angled slot cut in a block, it’s the simplest form that will do the job, which is something every body should look for imho.

Pete

Racers":zta7gs7o said:
Most phone holders are an angled slot cut in a block, it’s the simplest form that will do the job, which is something every body should look for imho.

Pete
Hi, what is a 'block'? Thanks

Andy Kev.":3hlex6ug said:
If I were going to try make that I imagine I'd use a No 4 or thereabouts plane, a shooting board (home made) for the edges, a 12" combination square and a crosscut backsaw. You might want a sliding bevel for the angled edge but you could do it by marking in one line with a marking gauge and planing down to it carefully. So that adds up to five tools. I imagine somebody will come along who will point out that you can do it with fewer.

Thanks.

shooting board (home made)
- what tools did you use to make this?
- can I buy one which can make a 45 degree angle?

I'd be interested in seeing a youtube video of something like this. All I can find are ones where they use a table saw and I don't have one.

Thanks.

As in a block of wood? Sliding Compound Mitre Saw, angle the blade, Set the depth on the trenching facility, Job done 30 seconds Max. BUT you do have to (A) have the SCMS and (B) know how to use it. Try and find a wood working course to do for a few weeks

martinjoop":11bv38g5 said:
Andy Kev.":11bv38g5 said:

Thanks.

shooting board (home made)
- what tools did you use to make this?
- can I buy one which can make a 45 degree angle?

I'd be interested in seeing a youtube video of something like this. All I can find are ones where they use a table saw and I don't have one.

Thanks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ypbvcxb-8M
(you can glue the 90 degree fence instead of making a dado)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_2a_FwjAgk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feCJoq8W1VU

use 9 mm birch ply. cut with handsaw, sand edges over, paint or stain to your choice. And put an angle support bracket on the back or it will fold flat the first time you use it.

MikeG.":2eamjn6n said:
This is the second such thread you've started, Martin. I wonder whether you are approaching this right.

If you are interested in doing woodwork, skills are more important than tools. The simplest, most basic set of tools will allow you to do all sorts, once you have developed the skills, but having all the tools in the world is utterly useless if you don't know how to use them. I suggest that instead of asking about tools-for-jobs, you organise to acquire a basic set of hand tools and a bench. At that point you can start asking the only useful question: how do I make this?
Have to agree with Mike here. Get a few decent quality tools and a workbench (somewhere to use them is useful as well :D ) If you want a good first book, then Vic Tesolin's little tome is a pretty good place to start - Rob

martinjoop":22lcz3zm said:
Racers":22lcz3zm said:

Pete
Hi, what is a 'block'? Thanks

A lump of wood roughly square/rectangular in shape.

Pete

Martin,

Is English your first language?

If "no," then YouTube videos in your native language might be a good place to start.

You are asking very, very basic questions. I am not sure you understand the answers.

Also, there are other basic issues: these mean your design will not be strong. Using natural wood or man-made materials (such as plywood) will make a big difference, too.

I am not being critical of you (or of the others who have already replied), but I think the answers we can give you will not be helpful until you have some basic understanding of materials and tools.

To make this sort of stand you need very few tools, BUT you do need to understand how to use them, and to understand the materials you are using.

I have replied as simply as I can, in case you are using an automatic translator.

Regards, E.

Martin, check out Paul Sellers (and myriad others; Matt Estlea is a good one) on YouTube. He and others like him explain the hows and whys of many woodworking basics - it's easy to understand and the fact that you're seeing what they're doing helps avoid any further confusion.

Here, for example, Paul Sellers shows you how to make a shooting board: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ypbvcxb-8M

One great thing about woodworking is that learning one skill opens doors to many others. For instance, learning to cut dovetails - you are introduced to a sliding bevel. Mitred dovetails - you're learning how to make that angled edge you want for the phone holder.

One thing to note is that making smaller items may appear simple but once you get started it becomes clear just how difficult it is.

martinjoop":1a6kis5b said:
Hi,

I've attached a phone holder I'd like to make.
file.php
To strengthen the 45 degree joint:

* Glue the joint together and let the glue dry
* Get some round toothpicks to use as dowels (clip off the points)
* Drill holes for toothpick dowels
* Glue in toothpick dowels, let the glue dry and clean up
* Glue the stop on, which will cover the dowels

As an aside..........a phone holder/ stand thingy is really a thing, is it? I've never heard of or seen one, and yet this is the second time I've come across the idea in the last few days.

MikeG.":faseuuzk said:
As an aside..........a phone holder/ stand thingy is really a thing, is it? I've never heard of or seen one, and yet this is the second time I've come across the idea in the last few days.
All over the place Mike, you can even get them in Ikea. What Pete said about a slot in a block is the most common and cheap as chips to buy.

I think E probably posted the most helpful advice as it seems the OP possibly owns no tools at all and hasn't worked with wood. He really would be best advised to get some instruction before buying any tools or materials.

funnily enough my dad asked me to make me an ipad pro holder so there might be a WIP about it coming soon,

you shouldn't need too many tools to make this, a couple of handsaws and a hand plane will do it and some determination and grit, for a smaller size like an iphone, movement shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Martin
You do not need a tablesaw to make that, you can plane the 45 degree bevel by hand. It doesn't even have to be exactly 45 degrees, it just needs to be the same all the way along (if it varies you will not get a tight glue line all the way along).
Did you get your No.4 plane? it should have arrived by now. This would be a useful exercise in using it.

Back