What to pay for green wood?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bodger7

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi
I am looking to get hold of some green wood, probably sycamore, from a local tree surgeon. I expect to pay him for this but how much should I offer or be prepared to pay? I realise that this is like asking the length of a piece of string but any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks.

Assuming you're after something a bit unusual like burrs, crotches, odd shaped pieces etc. log prices plus maybe a few beers to keep him onside? For one thing if he's selling it on as logs you'll be saving him work as your stuff will be quite a bit larger. A bit of a premium maybe if he's getting it to you really freshly cut, as you need to treat the ends quickly. Use your head - make it worthwhile for him if you expect him to go out of his way to get you interesting or unusual stuff.

Firewood prices basically, but more if he goes to any effort to sort stuff for you and if you don't want one cubic metre bag full at a time.

There is no hard and fast price. I sometimes get wood free which may include a complete trunk and I am talking up to 18" + diameter. On the other hand, I have made something for the wood and occasionally I pay anywhere from £20 upwards depending on the type of wood and the size.
I have not brought from a tree surgeon yet so can't say how much.
What you need to do is know how many blanks be they spindle or bowl you will get from a piece, taking in consideration that you may lose some in the drying process. Then work out from that how much it is worth to you.
Remember when pricing that it will be cheaper than buying blanks as you also need to do a lot of work converting it once you get it home.
Just talk to him and see what he values it at and you may be surprised.

Here in the New Forest you pay about £140-150 for a cord of firewood, that's 128 cubic foot or about one Transit tipper van load. That's split and seasoned and cut into 10" logs. So a shade over £1 per cubic foot.

I'll pay £40-50 per cubic foot for bright white, kilned, furniture grade Sycamore.

So expect to pay somewhere between those two amounts! For modest quantities where the tree surgeon has sorted stuff out for you, selecting some and discarding others, unless you're paying £10 a cubic foot it's just not worth his time.

Bodger7":1oi8b4ku said:

In which case I would suggest around £60 per tonne. Roadside timber to be used for firewood is around £50 a tonne plus I presume they are delivering? If it's super perfect wood especially cut for you them maybe a bit more. Pay them enough that they will be keen to supply you again otherwise it's not worth the bother for them as most tree guys do firewood as a sideline. Working out what a tonne looks like is not easy but I would say presuming a twin cab pickup loaded up high with rings you would get around 750kg max

Thank you all for your replies. As expected those replies are varied but I have now got an idea of what I can expect and there was good advice contained within them.

Back