What spokeshave

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cutting42

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All

I would like to get a couple of spokeshaves and whilst I could get Veritas or LN, I don't feel like spending a lot initially. I want to clean up both concave and convex surfaces.

What suggestions of models should I look out for on eBay etc. I don't mind a bit of restoration and fettling.

TIA

Hi,

Get some Hock blades and make your own, I have a flat one and it is very good, or get some old wooden ones.

One of the David Charlsworth books has very good instructions iof how to make one.

You need a Millars Falls cigar shave as well :wink:

Pete

Old wooden ones!

Just browse through the Collectables >Tools & Hardware >Tools >Carpentry/ Woodworking section until you find some and put a low bid in. In my experience old wooden spokeshaves go for peanuts as they are so under-appreciated. You may get a few duds if the pictures are not clear, but there are still plenty of good old boxwood shaves out there. They are so much nicer to use than the common Stanley pattern, as they take a low angle slice, like a miniature drawknife.

This search of completed auctions shows that lots go at the opening bid, for the price of a takeaway sandwich or less.

I recently bought a Quangsheng stainless steel spoke shave from Matthew at WH - got to say it is far superior to the Stanley ones that I had which were perfectly serviceable.

Old Record or Stanley 151s are best all rounders IMHO. Cheap too.
They are very good tools and the double screw adjuster works really well.
They do tend to have one little fault, especially if not used much; the cap iron can float loose as you adjust the blade. This is easily fixed with a touch of a countersink bit at the top of the slot. The screw itself is countersunk but the matching hole in the iron seems to get overlooked.

+1 for old wooden ones.

You can pick up worn wooden ones for pennies - look out for ones with reasonable irons if you can, but as they're so cheap a duffer is hardly a big deal. Re-mouthing with a slip of boxwood (or even brass if you want to get all posh) isn't that difficult (though holding the shave to work on it is a bit of a puzzler!). Another advantage to the woodies is that you can adjust the cutter to cut coarse on one side and fine on the other. Wondeful tools once you get used to them.

See if you can find a biggish one and really small one. Great for delicate shaping, the little 'uns.

Well they used to be cheap until 124 people read this post and went straight to Ebay to look for a spoke shave! :)
Useful advice mind you.

I recently bought a veritas long handled spoke shave. WOW and WOW again what a pleasure to use, and why have I been struggling with the stanley and record one for so many years. Everyone has been loving it, in fact some of my students are finding projects to make so they can use it.

Thanks for the advice, think I will try and get some woodies and a 151 and have a play

Actually a change of mind, I will go with Pete's suggestion and make one. Have ordered a Hock blade.

Hi, Gareth

Have you got davids book? It explains exactly how to make one.

I would tell you which one but the cat has pinned me to the settee.

Pete

Hi, David

Thanks, he has let me go now :wink:

Pete

One rarely seems to end up with just one spokeshave; a warning that I realise is probably already too late. I rather like the adjustable mouth jobbies, as well at the small Stanley ones (62/63 from memory). Anything Preston is usually a particularly nice shave to use too. Old wooden ones can be a bit hit and miss bought sight unseen (the delicate bevels are very easily rusted beyond rescue), but lots of options on new or making one yourself these days. Ah, so many shaves, so little time...

Hi,

Yes you need many spokeshaves
DSC_0130.jpg

Thats not all of them :oops: but I have sold the stanley/record ones.

DSC_0020.jpg

The best shot of my Hock one, must try harder.

Pete

Quite so. You would not expect an artist to have only one paintbrush!

Buy in bulk and enjoy exploring the subtle differences.

Once again , I am in agreement with Alf. The adjustable mouth #53 is a joy. It is a bit larger than my other shaves (all Stanleys) as well. The adjustable mouth and the greater size make it my metal shave go-to guy. Once you finish the woody , you might like to get a 53 from E-bay for a play. Mine went for 5 Canuck bucks if I recall correctly , so it should not be a bank buster either.

I have mentioned it in a whole thread but the Millers Falls MF1 takes a lot of beating...

DSC_0095.JPG

...once you learn how to tune, set and hold it that is! 8)

It's high maintenance...but worth it!

DSC_0478.JPG

The depth of cut can be limited by the mouth opening...or rather bevel alignment to be more accurate...but then you can hold it for fine or coarse shavings and get some really tight curves....

DSC_0477.JPG

It's ok on the flat too but for real flat control I tuned up an old Stanley 52 too...

DSC_0024.JPG

...but I cheated a little bit by adding a Veritas blade...

DSC_0335.JPG

...after all...the blade is the most important bit and this one was a fiver at Axminster (Manager's special)....

DSC_0323.JPG

The mouth needed opening up a bit but I did this from the rear "frog"....fettling that down flat gave enough opening to clear the edge whilst making the cutter more stable on the bed.

Jim

Wooden spokeshaves, like wooden planes, are nice; warm to the touch and all that. But I have had my basic Stanley metal spokeshaves for a long time. Never any problem, after a bit of fettling. And I mean a bit. Sharpening can be awkward, but a blade holder soon sorts the problem.

HTH :)

Latest posts

Back