What's under your lathe?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris152

Established Member
Reaction score
Mine usually has nothing or some shavings under it.
IMG_1325.jpg

Seems like a waste of space, but whatever goes there gets covered in shavings. Any ideas on storage that doesn't get completely drowned in dust? Pics would be nice but whatever, thanks for any suggestions.
Chris.

Attachments

• IMG_1325.jpg
    IMG_1325.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 1,223
Sounds great - I'll pop out and get some in the morning. :D

(edited to get rid of the LOL face - looks a bit smug to me, like it's laughing at its own joke.)

what's under mine? I have an idea that half of the rubbish from our house move, but I don't really know as I can only see a tiny bit of it :shock: :shock: I think that the bed bars are there. Still, the concrete slab for my new workshop goes down the end of this month and the shed goes up mid December. So all will be up and running by Christmas.

Which Christmas? I have no bleed!n idea :ho2 :ho2

Mine's bolted onto a simple wooden trestle affair like a big saw horse. My compressor shoves underneath one end between the legs with a dust sheet over. Easy enough to pull out and as my space is small I can't afford to waste any storage spaces :)

2 Shelves.
The bottom one stores the bed extension & some other heavy accessories. The top one extends to the shed wall to make cleaning up easier & to protect the bottom shelf from shavings.

Lathe Extension 1.jpg

First time I've had a need to use the bed extension so had to move 3 tools on mobile trolleys & pull the lathe away from the wall. Good time to remove the multitude of cobwebs that had accumulated in this little used corner.

Attachments

• Lathe Extension 1.jpg
    Lathe Extension 1.jpg
    235.8 KB · Views: 1,156
The motor to make the sticky out bit go round!

Vicmarc 300 so on steel cabinet with motor / inverter in and not much else. Bit of wasted space really - you’ve got me thinking. Anyone else out there with a vic’y 300 go good ideas?

S

image.jpg
The photo shows a purpose made steel stand and storage cupboard, the flat steel plate beneath the lathe bed is for use with a copying gadget if I ever get round to making it.
The cupboard is not fixed to the stand and either item can be moved if required.
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    218.6 KB · Views: 1,073
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 1,085
That looks a good fit, Mike. But do you find yourself cussing while getting shavings from the little gap between the stand and the cabinet? I suppose one answer might be to put the cabinet on wheels, but something that didn't need moving would be best? The biggest problem I'd face with that solution is the skills needed to build the cabinet. Drawers that work?!

I have an extractor that whips up the chippings easily but the top of the white melamine top is normally well covered with "usefull off cuts", I've moved them out of shot to avoid confusion. As a result I look much tidier than is really the truth.

I'm new to turning having bought a small lathe recently. I'll be turning smaller pieces so I'm not so worried about adding weight to steady the lathe. Space is at a premium in my shed so everything is mobile and I build in storage wherever possible.
lathecabinet.jpg

I usually put locking castor on my cabinets but I wanted something a bit steadier on this cabinet so used heavy duty lifting levellers from Axminster. Raising and lowering the levellers is done with a cut-off ball-ended allen key in a drill.
The top drawer stores the chisels and turning accessories take up two of the other drawers. The remaining drawers will gradually fill with 'stuff' and the centre shelves are for storing blanks.
I still have to make the drawer fronts but I need to get on with the Christmas turning projects first. Even with the gaps, not many shavings find their way into the drawers. And I can clear up when I move the cabinet back into its corner.

image.jpg
image.jpg
Perhaps this might be of interest. Nothing wastes more space than the metal stand under the cross cut saw. This has wheels at the back only and the handles slide out to enable the machine to be sited as required.
Mike.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    205.6 KB · Views: 921
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 934
As I'm new to turning and have still not organised everything,Underneath my coronet minor lathe bed id the bench made out of 8x4s. Underneath that is about 40 rough blanks for bowl turning which haven't had the corners cut off or the ends sealed. mostly spalted beech from a dead tree trunk I cut down about six weeks ago. It had been dead about 15 years. And of course the front of the stacked blanks is covered in chippings and dust. also underneath the bench is the diy chip extractor pipe that reaches under the chuck.(the head is swivelled out about 45 degrees to allow larger bowls to be turned.

John

Yep agreed. however I also have about another ton in the yard also to do.
And when you first start turning. You want to be turning not painting.
And I also have another long list of jobs to be done, as well as er my daytime job.
however I have a bag of old candlewax in the attic and the logstove will be going soon.

John

No photo as I'm sure you've all seen plenty of piles of sawdust etc yourselves!!

My Coronet Major came with a metal stand with small cupboard and open shelf. I store electric tools in their boxes on the open shelf and floor below and polishes etc.

However, having looked at this thread and Pintrest, I do need to make it a bit of an effort to make more use of the space.

Thanks for link!

Phil

My new lathe is on a workbench I built from fence posts and pallets.
I’m pretty strapped for space so my tool boxes are on the shelf underneath.
I might add sides, back and front doors to it in the next few weeks to keep the dust/shavings out

Under mine I have nice new circular saw, still boxed, that I bought as a bargain. As it gets in the way of my movement, I wish I'd not bothered getting it. As a turner I doubt I'll use it.

Thanks for the reminder... I should sell it.

Back