What's this wood?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnazjk

Reaction score
I've got hold of this log and I can get quite a bit more. Can anyone identify this for a newbie?

I'd be very grateful!

Attachments

• 20180702_200139.jpg
    20180702_200139.jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 131
Looks a bit like one of the many eucalyptus species to me judging by the bark.

Jim

Thanks Jim. Very kind of you to take the time to reply.

Done some reading and apparently eucalyptus is tricky to dry without lots of movement/minor explosions.

Oh well!

If it is Eucalyptus you have then the chances of drying it in any useful form are very low.
Some UK grown species also develop internal shakes that can fool you into thinking you have achieved some useful wood only to have long 5-10 mm wide cavities in the middle.

Regardless of species, any logs harvested, especially during the growing season need sealing across the ends with minutes of cutting if you are to stand any chance of slowing down the end grain cracks you can see in your sample.

Johnazjk":b9lhm85e said:
What should I use to seal?

Thanks all.

Hot wax (old candles, cheese wax etc.) , any old leftover paint you have, PVA Glue, or if you want to be posh comercial End Seal.

Realy does not matter what you use as long as it slows the moisture evaporation from the end grain.

Some Notes on wood handling from the Turning section help sticky.

Latest posts

Back