Moderators: Random Orbital Bob, nev, Noel, Charley, CHJ

 Reply
By chrisk4012
#830805
I recently sold a hobby lathe.it was an axeminster lathe.it was ok
But while turning small bowls it would slow down and tbe motor would get really hot.i sold it on and was thinking of buying a jet jwl 1220.could any1 tell me.would this happen on this lathe or even is it a good buy.thanks
User avatar
By John. B
#830920
I think it's a very good lathe for £430 it has some very good features, one problem though Ax are out of stock for the present so all depends how much of a hurry you are in,

How much room you have? How much is your budget? ETC ETC

John. B
By Brianp
#831261
I've used the variable speed version of that lathe in night class and find it's brilliant - never found it slowing down. I went looking to buy a 1220VS and they're no longer for sale, unfortunately although the 1220 is. The variable speed is very useful though, as far as my turning goes so in the end I've not bought a 1220. If variable speed isn't a deal breaker (and the price is right for you!) I'd say it's a very solid buy.
By chrisk4012
#831303
I took the plunge and bought the 1120.they didnt have the variable speed in stock for a few weeks so i just got the manual 1220.im only new to this so excuse my terms for stuff if there not correct.the price for the 1220 in ireland was 530 euro and i got it for 480 with the jacobs chuck so im happy out.im well impressed.should the motor get hot on lathes.im afraid im using the speeds wrong.i cant get my head around what speed i should be using each time
By Brianp
#831446
chrisk4012 wrote:I took the plunge and bought the 1120.they didnt have the variable speed in stock for a few weeks so i just got the manual 1220.im only new to this so excuse my terms for stuff if there not correct.the price for the 1220 in ireland was 530 euro and i got it for 480 with the jacobs chuck so im happy out.im well impressed.should the motor get hot on lathes.im afraid im using the speeds wrong.i cant get my head around what speed i should be using each time


Nice one. Hope you enjoy it, and have many safe and happy evenings of turning.

Motors do warm up, but shouldn't get "hot" unless you're overusing it. Speedwise, in general the bigger the timber the slower the speed. If you're spinning something unbalanced (like much green timber!) you might need to use a slower speed too.

If you haven't already, I recommend Keith Rowley's book for an introduction.
By chrisk4012
#845786
I was using the lathe on the slowest rpm and it was still getting hot.i have it mounted on a worktop.would that cause the motor to not get enough air in at it
By Spindle
#845790
Hi

How hot is hot? can you hold your hand on the motor? are the spindle bearings getting hot - do you have the correct tension on the drive belt?

Regards Mick
User avatar
By finneyb
#845827
chrisk4012 wrote:I was using the lathe on the slowest rpm and it was still getting hot.i have it mounted on a worktop.would that cause the motor to not get enough air in at it


Not getting enough air caused by the slow speed and relatively high load is the likely problem. Could you put a small fan blowing into the motor vents while you are at slow speed and high load? The slow speed will mean reduced airflow through the vents.

Brian
By Spindle
#845829
finneyb wrote:Not getting enough air caused by the slow speed and relatively high load is the likely problem. Could you put a small fan blowing into the motor vents while you are at slow speed and high load? The slow speed will mean reduced airflow through the vents.


Hi

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the OP does not have a variable speed lathe, therefore the motor will be running at the same RPM whatever (pulley), speed is selected. Also at the slowest speed the motor has the highest mechanical advantage and will be least likely to overheat due to external loads from tooling.

My money is still on the motor being 'acceptably' hot or the belt being too tight.

Regards Mick
By Spindle
#845838
chrisk4012 wrote:I was using the lathe on the slowest rpm and it was still getting hot


Hi Brian

Sounds like it is to me :wink:

Regards Mick
By Altheo
#845841
Hi,

I had a similar experience with my Tyme Avon so I contacted the manufacturer who assured me that lathe motors are designed to run hot ( well they would, wouldn't they ).

Anyway, 5 years on, the motor still runs hot but it's never been a problem. On the plus side it's nice to warm your hands on in a cold workshop.

Altheo