What lathe should I go for?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daaveyboy

Reaction score
Hi
This is my 1st posting,I am looking for advice on what lathe I should go for I am torn between an Axminster AWVSWL1200 Wood turning Lathe or a Jet JWL-1442 Woodturning Lathe both about the same price but the Axminster has a bigger turning diameter and a variable speed controller,any advice would be most appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Dave

Post this in the Turning forum Davey, that's where us turners is mate.

Also have a look in the stickies at the top to see what we all have.

Thirdly, welcome to the forum! Loads of info and remember that the only stupid question is the one that you don't ask. No-one was born with experience, we all had to learn. So again, welcome to the slippery side!! :D :D

All else being similar I personally would put a high score against a Variable Speed option, I find it so much more convenient and practical in use.

daaveyboy":2gepvs7l said:
Hi
This is my 1st posting,I am looking for advice on what lathe I should go for I am torn between an Axminster AWVSWL1200 Wood turning Lathe or a Jet JWL-1442 Woodturning Lathe both about the same price but the Axminster has a bigger turning diameter and a variable speed controller,any advice would be most appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Dave

I changed lathes early this year and was umming and arrrghing over both these lathes. I received from informed sources concerns about the build quality of the Axi lathe. I went to a pro who sold both. I had a play with his lathes and ended up buying the 1642. Appreciate that is another price jump, but that is the Jet one with Variable speed, reflecting what CHJ said.

A well respected pro turner Richard Findley earnt his living on the jet 1442 (i Think) until recently and many others seem to favour the Jet.

Best advise is try to get to someone that will let you try before you buy. So many different lathes exist because we are all looking for something a bit different with different budgets and different aims in what to use it for.

ps welcome to our forum

Many thanks for all the interest in my 1st posting.
would anybody have a link to the Axminster AWVSWL1200 Wood turning Lathe not the Axminster site but an independant one.
Cheers
Dave

Hell Dave, and welcome.

I have owned a Axminster AWVSWL1200 for some while now and I would endorse it totally.

It's very heavy and stable, It's extremely quiet, 2 hp motor, variable speed, 18" over the bed

If you have room in your shed and it is bolted down, by sliding the head to the end of the bed you could turn a disc over 48" in diameter.

I think it is better than the 1442, it shares similar construction, ie heavy cast iron (they look like they are from the same mold)

I think the 1200 is more powerful, will turn 2 inches more over the bed and for similar money.

No brainer methinks.

John. B

Hello John B
Many thanks for the comment,I think you have made my mind up.I was tempted to go for it but just needed some positive independent comments.
Cheers
Dave

Much to do with lathe selection is 'what do you want to turn now and in the future' and 'budget'

When your as clear an idea of what you want to turn, your well on your way. Be mindful that theres is no universal lathe ie pens, big spindles, and bowls. eg If your into bowls platters and the like, then swing is more important than bed length.

Then when your down to picking the brand and model get as much as you can for your money. By the sounds of it your going for reputable brands. So then look at convenience of use, try them out if at all possible. Lathes may look similar but there are differences when we come to use them, some we can easily accomodate and some just down right annoy us.

When its comes to variable speed over several fixed speeds. The fixed speeds are a generalization of expected requirements. The only way to have one size fit alls, is pretty well a variable speed set up.

Things to look for in a variable would be torque low down and method of variance ie electronic over mechanical and preferably not Chinese electronics.

Lastly but not least service and back up, especially with the electronics..

Thanks for the information Hughie I am always interested in hints tips & advice,I did want to do pens and other small projects, but looking around on YouTube I fancy trying segmented bowl turning so I am looking to (hopefully) future proof my self so going for a bigger lathe I should not have to buy another one a few years down the line (when I get hooked on wood turning) with the Axminster AWVSWL1200 it will do 18" dia and has a variable speed and has a cast iron bed which I have been told is important in stopping vibrations.

Why not hang on and go to the woodwork show at the Yorkshire show ground.(November 18-19 and 20th.)
There will be most everything you could ever need there and most of it on demo.
It is also a good chance to chat to kindred spirits.
Willy.

Hi

Colin is correct that, until recently I used the Jet 1442. I had it for around 6 years and it saw me go from keen amature to a full time professional. I recently upgraded to a Wadkin RS8 because I have been getting so much large scale spindle work and the Wadkin became available. If it weren't for that I'd still be using the Jet.

Personally I had no problems with it and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it, the only thing that was ever a problem was that, in use, the speed adjuster lever can be in an awkward place for a right handed spindle turner, but I'm a lefty so no problem for me!!!

HTH

Richard

Back