Wedged tenons

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just4Fun

Established Member
Reaction score
Youtube suggested this video for me today. It seems he gets some nice looking joints, but he doesn't do anything the way I would do it. In particular I would like to ask opinions about the wedges for the tenons, at 8:30 onwards in the video. Any comments?

What exactly about the wedges do you find odd?
Perhaps that they're aren't wedge-shaped?

Yep the wedged tenons are unusual, I think he is trying to ensure they all look the same size but has angled them the opposite way around. I guess he has done this to get them closer to the outer edge of the tenon to help it bend. Also cuts are normally done parallel to the tenon.

Cheers Peter

They're not really wedged. I can't see any opening out of the tenon being possible with parallel inserts into parallel cuts. Their function, then, must just be aesthetic.

dzj":3audd5s8 said:
What exactly about the wedges do you find odd?
Perhaps that they're aren't wedge-shaped?
Yes, that and also the mortices are not tapered to allow the tenons to splay out when the wedges are driven home. I don't see the advantage of wedging the tenons this way compared to just having a tight mortice.

MikeG":3audd5s8 said:
Their function, then, must just be aesthetic.
That was my conclusion also, but thought perhaps I was missing something.

These 'wedges' will compress their way into the thinner kerf and thus
splay the tenon. Not as much as if the mortice was tapered, but better than nothing.
In any case it will make for a tighter fit than just a regular m&t.

On a separate note, tenons can be kerf-cut in at least 5 different ways. Discussions
concerning which one (if any) should be utilized, should the wedges be glued or not,
should tenons be glued completely or only the bit by the shoulder... make many a 'fruitful'
pub conversation among woodworkers. :)

Back