Web hosting

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ste_5150

Established Member
Reaction score
Guys, I could do with a little advice. I'm looking for a 'cost-effective' way to get a website up. I've seen a few threads on here whereby some members have suggested that you can get free web hosting from some domain reg companies, but I can't find any examples of that (don't recall any direct suggestions as to who does it).

My requirements are to use a specific domain name (haven't bought it yet), no ads on the site, and I don't need a massive amount of space (although it is for my musical project so some audio/vid will be going on there). I'd like to keep the costs low, but stick with a reliable company for ease. Can anyone point me in a specific direction please?

Thanks folks

I use One.com for my pictures hosting with a domain name.

When I uploaded the gallery2 software I had problems getting it working as they only provide safe mode PHP or something anyway their support responded quickly and even gave me a link to a different version of the software that would work.

My One.com hosted site is here http://www.argand.co.uk/album/main.php

HI

I have just changed over to http://www.easy-internet.co.uk/

They do a free hosting service with the option to increase size etc at a later date, they also do domain name reg.

For creating the site they do free software but I use netobjects fusion essentials which is also free.

john

One thing to consider - you say that you want to use a specific domain name but haven't registered it yet - my advice would be to do so ASAP otherwise you might not find it available when you go for it.

It doesn't matter who you register the domain with - it doesn't have to be the same company you use for hosting. When you've sorted out your hosting you then just point the domain at that hosting.

I've used Fasthosts for both registering domains and for hosting with no problems and good tech support, but they are not free.

regards

Brian

cambournepete":3r7t0n6x said:
My Parich Council have moved away from fasthosts, as we weren't impressed with either the service or support.

My experience of them is similar. They also have several quirks in their Linux/Apache/MySQL/PHP configuration which prevents some shopping cart software from functioning.

Dave

Back