We needed a mirror........

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeG.

Established Member
Reaction score
We just couldn't find what we were looking for, so my wife suggested I build it instead. So, I toddled off into the workshop, raided my off-cuts bin for some oak, and this is what I came up with:

QTZbbGa.jpg

jEfMVl2.jpg

qIQ0BvH.jpg

f5F1RMl.jpg

IDfbns2.jpg

dLdUqTM.jpg

UGSWVt8.jpg

DE7xI1m.jpg

Unless there is a good reason not to, I always do shoulders all around when doing M&Ts. Here, with these tiny mortises, the shoulders hide the damage done by levering the waste out of the joint. I was just about to scribe the shoulders for a really nice tight fit when a thought occurred to me. After a quick sketch on the back of a piece of scrap, I carried on:

gUExtZk.jpg

rIzOPeC.jpg

Qoclfb9.jpg

VpdlRmr.jpg

s0Q4c0b.jpg

Lk2fhjX.jpg

XMA6yal.jpg

I was just making this stuff up as I went along. I really enjoy doing that, but it doesn't always end well. We'll see:

ZDsy8Zm.jpg

0WHWVoU.jpg

g9I0L8w.jpg

nP50CvS.jpg

o7o8h5r.jpg

GT8GqgC.jpg

I made this composite moulding because I don't have a spindle moulder, and my friend who does wasn't available. So, I had to come up with something I could do on my router table. Ideally I would have had a simple cove instead. Ho hum....

1TTt8Kw.jpg

ScCsco7.jpg

QHkgwTb.jpg

ytosRln.jpg

cb09jg7.jpg

.....and a French cleat to hold the bottom in:

D3d7vEg.jpg

RiGJeJJ.jpg

lmwMhbV.jpg

vrDbLjL.jpg

aIFacGT.jpg

After a quick trip to the glaziers (who had three goes at cutting it!!), and £10 later:

VqUccsr.jpg

GkekjPY.jpg

tDRwff1.jpg

Thanks Tasky. I didn't count, but looking back it was at least 15 hours work........which means it cost more money than anyone would ever pay for a mirror. I shan't be going into production.

Looks like it was absolutely made to hang right there...

...which of course it was!

Great job =D>

That's a beauty ! Very smart job Mike

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Marineboy":iriuyb5f said:
Beautiful work.

You really should change that plaster on your thumb though.

Yeah, but more fundamentally, I should probably avoiding jabbing it with the corner of a chisel in the first place.

I'll be honest, Mike, when I saw you gluing those corner pieces in I thought "Arrgghh! Ghastly bodge. What is he thinking?!"
But When I see the context and the end result, I think it looks excellent and would be happy to have produced it.

And as to sticking things into your digits, I'm having a new kitchen (I'm gophering for a real fitter) and today I went to do some retail therapy. Far too many saucepans and a new set of knives later I did my first bit of cooking this evening for nearly three weeks. The knives are very sharp. Fingernails grow at about 0.1mm per day, so my left first finger will be fine again by about the end of September.

Wow! I agree with Steve, at first glance those corner pieces look a bit odd. But when the mouldings are added and it all comes together, it looks amazing! =D> =D> =D>

I think that's great too, and I was further reassured to see that I am not alone with a shed / workshop that might need a tidy...

Jamster21":2jdaw456 said:
I think that's great too, and I was further reassured to see that I am not alone with a shed / workshop that might need a tidy...

:D Yeah, it's not really a workshop at the moment so much as a building site overflow zone. I couldn't get to the RAS or the pillar drill at all.

Mike, that's really nice. When I was going through the WIP's was really hoping it was going to have a bevelled edged mirror, but on reflection (No pun intended) it would not have worked.

You must have earned a serious amount of brownie points, or TV time especially now the cricket season is upon us.

Mark.

Latest posts

Back