Wax removal

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arnold9801

Established Member
Reaction score
We would like to replace all the wax stained timber in our house by painting it for a change. This includes all our doors, scurtains etc. We used water stain and the applied Fiddes dark wax on top when we bought the house twenty years ago. The feelings are that we would prefer a lighter colour to the house than this dark wood.

I know we can take replace all this timber, but there’s a lot and I am wondering if anyone has overcome the same issue and how you managed to remove the wax to enable the same wood to take paint?

Is turps Andy wire wool the only option or is there something much easier?

Your advice would be appreciated.

If you put this wax on twenty years ago and have not re-applied it should be pretty dry. I might be inclined to experiment with a section by brushing over it with a shellac sanding sealer and then painting over.

I would try using panel wipe, which will remove wax polish from automotive stuff and if you get the solvent based stuff won’t raise the grain

Many Thanks for your replies. At least it sounds as though there is an alternative to removing all the wood and replacing it with new which will take ages.

Regards

was gonna suggest microsuction but it's not that kind of wax :lol:

Wouldn’t applying shellac result in the shellac coming off as we’ll as nothing bonds to wax/grease?

As a beekeeper I occasionally make a mess of our cooker, pots and pans and surrounding areas when refining the collected wax and use ordinary household washing soda and hot water to clean it up.

Arnold9801":25sm7b3p said:
Wouldn’t applying shellac result in the shellac coming off as we’ll as nothing bonds to wax/grease?

Apologies for the delay. Shellac will stick to most things and with wax that old I reckon it would be OK.

Jim

Back