Waste plumbing for dust extraction

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a festool hose over the bench, it has a very flexible rubber connector on the end which fits all my hand held power tools plus a few old vacuum cleaner attachments for cleaning up the shop.

The second is a 50mm hose which fits my table saw crown guard, my bandsaw & I use when sanding at the lathe it's also useful for cleaning up around the lathe.

The hoses don't get in the way as the ceiling is quite high & the hoses are routed so as to be out of the main work area.

As requested see below for a few pic's of my set and how I used it when I had no main extractor.

Cyclone and Shop Vac on Dolly with 2in tools.jpg

This is my Dust Deputy on it's Dolly with Shop Vac. 63mm flexible pipe connects the vac to the cyclone via a couple of 68mm drain fittings. Then 3m of 63 hose with a sleeve at the end for tools shown in picture and for connecting direct to static machines

Shop Vac with Hepa filter bage fitted.jpg

This is a Henry Hoover Hepa Filter Bag attached to the shop vac, you can see from the filter that it is virtually clean. This filter is a year old and has never been cleaned. I probably change the bag in the vac about twiuce a year as some bits do get past the cyclone. The filter bag had it's plastic fitting removed (too small for this vacuum) and is held in place with a cable tie.

Built up port from chop saw.jpg

This is and example of how I built up the oulet from my chop saw with slit rings of 68mm downpipe

Inlet to bandsaw with tapered reducer.jpg

This is the attachement for my bandsaw extract showing a reducer inside, made from 68mm downpipe.

For my small tools I simply built up the dust ports to a common size with slit rings from 40mm waste pipe then tapered them with a bit of 80grit. they then push fit into my original Vac hose which inturn has a built up fitting that fits the 63mm flexible hose coming from my cyclone.

One afternoon and a couple of lengths of pipe and you can eliminate all the awkward odd sizes that you will find on your shop tools and machines.

I have in another post shown how to make tapered or flared sections of pipe if you need to tranistion smoothly from one size to another. http://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/dust-extraction-accessories-t81182.html

If you want any more details just ask.

Attachments

• Cyclone and Shop Vac on Dolly with 2in tools.jpg
    Cyclone and Shop Vac on Dolly with 2in tools.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 1,538
  • Shop Vac with Hepa filter bage fitted.jpg
    Shop Vac with Hepa filter bage fitted.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 1,538
  • Built up port from chop saw.jpg
    Built up port from chop saw.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 1,537
  • Inlet to bandsaw with tapered reducer.jpg
    Inlet to bandsaw with tapered reducer.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 1,538
This has made for interesting reading for me as I'm about to develope a pipe system to attach to my Elektra-Bekum cyclone unit. It's a big machine and possibly more than I'll need most of the time but it was a bargain on Gumtree so I couldn't resist - in hindsight my VAX cyclone vacuum cleaner is probably mobile and powerful enough to handle any of my hobbyist machines but I was tempted by the notion of convenience.

Anyway, despite the machine having a rather large diameter hose to begin with (+/-4"), I decided that for the run-out sections I would step down to 32mm waste pipe. Now I'm faced with a big reducer problem - although Richard may well have saved me a lot of hassle with his reducer idea - and multiple nozzle sizes required for all the machines. I think I'll try to source some thick rubber hose that can be stretched over the duct pipe and machine nozzle. It's only for dust so should last long enough not to be a hassle.

My main problem now is that to get the 32mm pipe across to the table saw I would have to make up some unique angles in the pipe so I've decided to run a flexible pipe across to the machine from the main run of pipe, but that means I'd have been better off just having a long flexible hose that could be trailed around the workshop and coiled up when not in use.

You live and learn, eh?

I seem to have a very similar set-up to Richards and the thing that made the biggest difference was my Dust Deputy Cyclone so simple but works great!.
I use a 1500w shop vac linked to the cyclone with a 10mtre flexible hose fitted and made adaptors like Richard for my scrollsaw/bandsaw/router table/planer thicknesser/bench belt sander and drill press and use a wireless remote plug socket to turn it on and off a cheap setup but does everything i need.
Cheers
Brian

fluffflinger":gvx8r9nb said:
This is my Dust Deputy on it's Dolly with Shop Vac. 63mm flexible pipe connects the vac to the cyclone via a couple of 68mm drain fittings. Then 3m of 63 hose with a sleeve at the end for tools shown in picture and for connecting direct to static machines
<snip>

Hi Richard,

I'm wanting to replicate your setup as pictured in 2014! I've recently purchased a Dust Deputy and can find the 63mm pipe on eBay ok.

Question is, and before I make a purchase, how does the 63mm pipe connect to the cyclone please? Your photo seems to show two connectors? As the rainwater goods are 68mm (internal diameter?) are you stretch fitting the 63mm pipe over the top?

Any pointer greatly appreciated :)

78363 part number from toolstation. It is a gutter downpipe socket it will fit the 63mm hose. I use it for my own 63mm stuff.

Facinating.

My journey has been very different. I see 4" to 6" pipe as necessary for table saws, bandsaws, scms station, router table and planer/thicknesser. I am currently planning to go from 4" to 6" main pipes with a few drop downs from 6 to 4".

I use a Festool hose + Festool CTL for all the smaller power tools eg sanders, drills, etc which hangs from the ceiling.

For me the issue is about air volume and air speed. I have grave doubts that a 40mm hose connected to a table saw will work and very much doubt that 40mm will work with a planer/thicknesser. This due to the lack of airflow and thus slower air speed.

A Thein separator or small cyclone will drop your airflow by 30% to 50% from its unloaded max. Again air speed and air flow will drop as well.

As a hobbyist I would set up my 40 to 63mm small DC for the hand power tools. Later I would go to a 4 or 6 inch system for the bigger machine tools. Yes I know its about cost as well.

I should also say I am not a hobbyist.

Facinating.

My journey has been very different. I see 4" to 6" pipe as necessary for table saws, bandsaws, scms station, router table and planer/thicknesser. I am currently planning to go from 4" to 6" main pipes with a few drop downs from 6 to 4".

I use a Festool hose + Festool CTL for all the smaller power tools eg sanders, drills, etc which hangs from the ceiling.

For me the issue is about air volume and air speed. I have grave doubts that a 40mm hose connected to a table saw will work and very much doubt that 40mm will work with a planer/thicknesser. This due to the lack of airflow and thus slower air speed.

A Thein separator or small cyclone will drop your airflow by 30% to 50% from its unloaded max. Again air speed and air flow will drop as well.

As a hobbyist I would set up my 40 to 63mm small DC for the hand power tools. Later I would go to a 4 or 6 inch system for the bigger machine tools. Yes I know its about cost as well.

I should also say I am not a hobbyist.

No problem Yeti. It will have a good tight fit and allow you to connect to the 68mm pipe. Might need a bit of insulating tape around the pipe to get a good seal into the coupler.
beech1948":32eoib01 said:
Facinating.

As a hobbyist I would set up my 40 to 63mm small DC for the hand power tools. Later I would go to a 4 or 6 inch system for the bigger machine tools.

I would say you are right in that 4" upwards is really the way to go for the larger machines. However some shopvacs don't work well when hooked up to 4" pipe unless they are powerful and come equipped for such hose sizes. My own experience is that 63mm (2.5" or there about) works well with a shopvac (hooked up to bench sanders/morticer/drill press) although I use no inline separators. I have a MLT100 site saw as an outfeed table to my larger saw. The MLT100 is 63mm connection and does a reasonable job of extraction or 'redirection' of dust . The larger tools really need the airflow. I have them connected to a FM300bc with pleated filter and ducting, so far this has been working very well.

cammy9r,

I agree. I was not suggesting 4" into a shop vac as that would overwhelm the shop vac. I was trying to suggest that a hobbyist can get away with 40 to 63mm only for a while for hand power tools. Use a shovel for the other larger stuff.

Eventually though the user would need to go 4" or bigger for the big machines.

I'm going from 4" to 6" because the DC I have will accept 6". I will gain a 35% increase in airflow and a small gain in air speed. I will keep my Festool CTL for all the hand power tools.

Hi, I would love a picture of your set up. I bought the Aldi or Lidl shop vac and a dust deputy and need a little bit of inspiration to connect it all up. Cheers Lee

Back