Warco BDS 690 Belt/Disc Sander

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hemsby

Established Member
Reaction score
This was my first dealings with Warren Machine Tools and I found them to be very helpful & efficient with both enquiries & delivery. The day the machine was originally due for delivery I was called away from home on a Family emergency, telephoned them, they were very understanding and contacted the carrier. It appears it was to late to stop an attempted delivery for which no charge was made. rescheduled delivery, which arrived today.

I was not expecting much of the sheet metal stand but it was better than I expected and would be fine but I prefer a mobile base with storage, so thats the next job

Obviously the machine is a clone Axminster/Excel/NuTool etc not sure which came first, but priced at £198 incl delivery seemed good value. It was advertised as a 550watt motor but is actually 1hp

Well packaged with all items individually packed

Was easy to assemble with simple adjustments where needed.

The disc is supplied to take adhesive pads but I used Charnwood self adhesive Velcro pads. The maximum runout of the disc face is only .005 inch

The cast iron bed of the belt sander is topped with a bonded 2mm thick graphite impregnated material which allows the belt to glide over the surface

The only two slightly negative points are the thickness of the 2 brackets (marked X) that support a cover beneath the table, easy to remake

The disc guard material could have been thicker, but not a major issue.

Have only had limited testing time today but would not have liked to try to stop the disc. The belt only stopped with excessive downward pressure and the belt slipped on the drive roller not the drive itself.

Only time will tell but the initially all seems good

One of the worst aspects of a disc sander is removing the old discs. The common paper ones tear as you try to take them off and the resultant sticky adhesive left behind is a real chore to remove. This changed however with the last set of discs I got for my machine. They have some kind of plastic backing which means they come off in one piece and leave very little adhesive behind. I only wish I could remember were I bought them as I'd never buy the paper ones again if I have the choice!

woodpig":1lmi3ca7 said:
One of the worst aspects of a disc sander is removing the old discs. The common paper ones tear as you try to take them off and the resultant sticky adhesive left behind is a real chore to remove. This changed however with the last set of discs I got for my machine. They have some kind of plastic backing which means they come off in one piece and leave very little adhesive behind. I only wish I could remember were I bought them as I'd never buy the paper ones again if I have the choice!

No need for those problems much easier to be able to change the sanding discs without any sort of adhesive. The self adhesive Velcro hooked pad from Charnwood was £8 easily stuck to the Aluminium disc and trimmed, an assortment of 4 loop Velcro discs also £8 + postage. During my trial of the machine today peeling of and swapping the various grit discs back and forth was easy

Thanks for posting. Had looked at these online the other day and my one concern was the smaller motor, but if it is actually 1hp then I may well press the button.

Terry.

Wizard9999":3kd2yqg7 said:
Thanks for posting. Had looked at these online the other day and my one concern was the smaller motor, but if it is actually 1hp then I may well press the button.

Terry.

Just to confirm 750 watt I think this is th same as 1hp :?:

Keith

Hemsby":3pln172u said:
No need for those problems much easier to be able to change the sanding discs without any sort of adhesive. The self adhesive Velcro hooked pad from Charnwood was £8 easily stuck to the Aluminium disc and trimmed, an assortment of 4 loop Velcro discs also £8 + postage. During my trial of the machine today peeling of and swapping the various grit discs back and forth was easy

I looked into this and whilst it may be ok for shaping wood it's not good for metal as the backing gives too much and results in rounding of corners etc. For the same reason I removed the graphite backing mentioned by the OP on the belt sander. I've replaced it with mild steel and it's been working fine over the past few years. I use the machine for all sorts of materials inc wood and composites etc but also on steel and alloy quite a bit. The belt is frequently used for tool sharpening with an auxiliary platen made from 01 steel. :wink:

+1 for the Velcro conversion. You can even change grits before the disc is worn out.

Holy inflation Batman!

£198 in March...

...looked a few weeks back and out of stock, price up to £220, asked for notification when back in stock...

...heard nothing so looked again today, still out of stock but price now up to £264!

That's about a 33% increase in 7 months. Part of it down to the pound no doubt, but in the same period the pound is off about 22%, still still a pretty heft non-exchange rate driven increase.

Terry.

Latest posts

Back