Wadkin RS restoration

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wallace

Established Member
Reaction score
Its been a whole year since I started a machine so I thought its about time, This one dates from 1936 and is in rough but very complete condition. It has its original compound slide/carriage and even a nice 4 jaw chuck

NuAcRgg.jpg

One must remember check height restrictions and fluorescent tubes when entering the workshop, they don't half make a pop when hit

mQBbY02.jpg

9HBawZb.jpg

iSvKJBq.jpg

N1u8Hf2.jpg

Its been sat under a big ol apple tree for a year, There are piles of windfalls for the birds over the winter, their starting to get mushy and ferment. Have you ever seen a drunk blackbird

Let the fun begin

rqbCopS.jpg

YpbZfS7.jpg

All of the cloth wiring is rotten but the starter looks to be in great condition.

W14LYyC.jpg

Never come across this on an RS before, brass hinges

R8l5Wok.jpg

There is normally a tapered pin locating the lever but this one had a straight pin which would not budge so I had to drill it out.

VkVjTAx.jpg

Funny little marks

X2UjmcM.jpg

I'm always impressed when taking a wadkin to bits, Bolts are just the right torque and come out like this after 82 years

PxgK2SB.jpg

Never seen 3 grease rings on the spindle before

15N3vpQ.jpg

This is my tool for getting the nut off the spindle, Its not pretty but works

ZlcUxKJ.jpg

brwKM3o.jpg

Yay, I love these threads.... Has this one already got a home to go to wallace? Would love to own one of these one day

No home for this one yet mate.

Original colour under the tags

jjlLkOM.jpg

That wasn't too difficult, I was expecting a fight

p6Wzn6n.jpg

I think this bit might put up a bit resistance

0fsPbdg.jpg

What does “RS” stand for? and what does it do? I don’t recognise this sort of lathe.

I will be paying close attention to this as just got my first large industrial machine restoration to do in the form of a milling machine.

Rhyolith":20hi7jqd said:
What does “RS” stand for? and what does it do? I don’t recognise this sort of lathe.

I will be paying close attention to this as just got my first large industrial machine restoration to do in the form of a milling machine.

The RS doesn't stand for anything its just the way wadkin named their machines, The RS is a pattern makers wood lathe, just like any other wood lathe just a bit bigger. This one weighs around 700kg. It has a carriage and cross slide like a metal lathe. I have done some metal turning on mine with no problem.

Rhyolith":3sk2eush said:

The RS was the baby of the group - they did an "RU" and then an "RUH" which were even more monstrous!
http://www.lathes.co.uk/wadkin/

I very nearly bought an RU for peanuts a couple of years ago, been kicking myself ever since.

Their are some pretty rusty bits so I got some phosphoric acid.

ZbDtbaT.jpg

This is the tail stock, note the differences to a later one.

RfRjo70.jpg

The carriage is in good nick just rusty, funnily the cutter in the holder is a carbide tipped parting tool.

CqMaZvP.jpg

5u6LRtv.jpg

To get the machine pins out I put a slit with the dremmel and twist with a screwdriver

vCTbQzO.jpg

The motor put a decent fight up, the end bells are aluminium and the main body cast iron. There was a bit sticking due to dissimilar metals.

dziSyVG.jpg

I've never come across a motor in this good a nick inside, it still had chalk writing on the stator. Normally they are crammed with grease.

DsGwJ4J.jpg

DQKISQg.jpg

hHVbc8t.jpg

TFrench":14loeovq said:
...The RS was the baby of the group - they did an "RU" and then an "RUH" which were even more monstrous...
Nah, the RS is the middle size (actually 3 middle sizes: 6" 8" & 10").

The RT is the baby of the group.
aRT.jpg

aRTA.jpg

And I think one of the later Wadkin-Bursgreen woodlathes might be slightly smaller again.

Cheers, Vann.

Attachments

• aRT.jpg
    aRT.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 664
  • aRTA.jpg
    aRTA.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 666
Just one question...

Why is there not a film crew making a full series of this?

I have found that using phosphoric acid before cleaning up works really well, I intend to cold blacken some parts after cleaned. It smells horrible, almost like a stink bomb

JfLNzfa.jpg

Wadkin must of had a good few motors still with Wadkin & Co when they became a limited company.

bDesAWK.jpg

1RN7Piv.jpg

Mmm Hofman bearings

rSl4llV.jpg

It must of been in the same company whenit got its coat of green paint, I found the same asset number underneath

UZ5b8eM.jpg

I got back together and wired up and it works lovely, a quick lick of zinc primer

D2peibU.jpg

Just realised it might have to come to bits again because I will be fitting a VFD and this motor is not dual voltage, My motor man might be able to fiddle with the leads

Yeah phosphoric acid works pretty well, just mix with water and let it soak, I believe it is used for etching so probably keep an eye of steel parts,
You wouldn't need it for brass, it doesn't rust and is really easy to clean up with scotchbright.

This is the support for the motor pulleys, as you'd expect Hofman double row self aligning bearings.

jRNWjrG.jpg

The pulley spent the night in a bucket of solution and came out rust free

fCsh13m.jpg

This is it after a while in the cold blackening solution, just spray with wd40 and then boeshield

L4v6Z5a.jpg

The head spindle all cleaned up

U60SM1y.jpg

The speed change handle is a week point on the RS, they usually get broken.

R9LXLt9.jpg

2b2EINs.jpg

The carriage and compound tool holder is a tad rusty

l44XcFU.jpg

But came to bits pretty easily

fsbHrYO.jpg

Back