Wadkin BER 3

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dantheman20

Reaction score
Hey guy I have just got my self a tatty BER 3 spindle moulder I am told it was working six years ago in a shop but has been in storage since then I am not even able to plug it in at the moment I have a few pics things I have noticed so far

1- rise and fall is super stiff I recon i need a new bearing I have found it in the instructions I think
2- when operating the leaver run and free spring into there slots but the lock slot is slack and the spindle does not lock making hard if not impossible to change tools

Well I am obviously in over my head and could really use some advise on how to proceed as I would really love to save this machine as it is so solid and robust I reckon it just needs some TLC and knowledge

Attachments

• Webp.net-resizeimage (2).jpg
    Webp.net-resizeimage (2).jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 1,287
  • Webp.net-resizeimage (3).jpg
    Webp.net-resizeimage (3).jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 1,287
  • Webp.net-resizeimage (4).jpg
    Webp.net-resizeimage (4).jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 1,287
  • Webp.net-resizeimage (5).jpg
    Webp.net-resizeimage (5).jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 1,287
  • Webp.net-resizeimage (1).jpg
    Webp.net-resizeimage (1).jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 1,287
Hi, I got a Sedgwick SM4 a while ago which I had to do up. I phoned Sedgwick and they sent me a manual and I went from there ! Perhaps speak to Wadkin or you may have more luck phoning scott sargeant in Gatwick.

They are built like tanks and there is a limited amount to go wrong it in normal circumstances.

If its been sitting for a while some grease and WD40 might loosen the mechanisms up. The rise and fall on the Sedgwick is a big screw so no bearings but the Wadkin might be different.

As for changing the tool does a spanner not go on the top of the shaft to slacked the retaining nut ?

Hey mate yes the spanner fits the retaining nut however I am not always able to lock the spindle to wrench said spanner. the locking mechanism is finicky at best. According to the instructions the lock is comprised of a disc with holes and pins that drop into the holes.

Back