Wadkin AGS 10 Affairs and Spares

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of the great advantages of going 3 phase (240V delta connected) with a VFD is that the electronics can ensure that the startup current never exceeds the motor full load current. After measuring startup surges of over 50Amps on some small single phase machines, I find it nice to be able to ignore startups as any sort of issue in my own small workshop now that my machinery has all been fitted with VFDs.

I looked into Brook Crompton and Crompton Greaves motors when shopping for a 3kW motor at the beginning of the year. The old Brook Crompton are gone as far as I'm concerned. The two spin outs are both foreign owned and most if not all manufacture is overseas.
I now buy TEC motors. They're a Shanghai company but the products are decently made, aluminium bodied, excellent value and readily available.

Gremmy":3fpmhr77 said:
GregC":3fpmhr77 said:
Hi
I have a 1960 10 AGS with a gryphon 2hp 3 phase motor which has burnt out, rewind looking at £360 plus vat. Anyone got a cheaper solution with a new motor, can be 1 phase or 3?

Hi Greg,

I recently rebuilt a Wadkin AGS 10 and put a single phase motor in it.

Approximate costs were;

£178 for Brook Crompton S10 aluminium 1.5kw/2hp

New 3 v belt pulley for new motor c.£15

Bush for pulley c.£9

New belts v belts c.£8

C.£210 and about 3 hours of time.

Just needed to drill new motor mount holes on bracket.

Farmer Giles is where I got most of my info from

ags10-3-phase-to-single-phase-conversion-t116123.html

This should be useful.

Good luck!

Hi Gremmy

Could I trouble you to give some links to the parts you used ? Motor, pulleys, bushings etc.
Thanks a lot :)

Mark

Hello,

I have a phase converter made by a company called motor run. Mine is a static phase converter none of this noisy additional motor running dynamic stuff, just a quiet hum which will run anything up to and including 8hp. Thier web site is [email protected]

The chap makes the converters himself so he can tailor them to your needs. His phone no. is 07765543105.

You will find him extremely helpful. He repaired my converter which is 30 years old with no issues as he had signed the inside of the device 30 years ago.

Give him a try.

Kind Regards
Ian

Back