Wadkin 12" BAO/S Planer Thicknesser Project

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just tilted it onto the opposite side, to fit the other two castors....

Attachments

• PB120578.jpg
    PB120578.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 113
Hover mode achieved.

Attachments

• PB120580.jpg
    PB120580.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 97
  • PB120579.jpg
    PB120579.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 97
MilesH[quote="MilesH":3inyx79c said:
wallace":3inyx79c said:
I've had motors in the past that only showed one voltage on the tag but were changeable in the box
Thanks wallace, that's interesting. I noticed that the machines Wadkin exported often had dual voltage tags.. My AGS (1977) is wired for Wye only. This BAO/S is 1982ish so, it's possible....
"]Acquired this machine a few weeks ago. Early eighties version. Machine No. 12"BAO/S 825347. Nice clean example with original paintwork. I need to convert it to run on 240v single phase supply and change the cutterblock to a Shelix spiral one.[/quote]
MilesH":3inyx79c said:
wallace":3inyx79c said:
I've had motors in the past that only showed one voltage on the tag but were changeable in the box
Thanks wallace, that's interesting. I noticed that the machines Wadkin exported often had dual voltage tags.. My AGS (1977) is wired for Wye only. This BAO/S is 1982ish so, it's possible....

hello, i have a BOAS 12 plainer thicknesser the same as you, mine is also three phase, but i found it cheaper and a far lot less haste to buy a static phase converter and run a 16amp cable from the fuse box in my shed to the phase converter. The company I got the phase converter from was called Motor Run phase converters based in in Kingston upon Thames KT1 3DS, they provided me with as static converter that is easily powerful enough to run the both motors comfortably. I was thinking of rewiring and going down the single phase route but this came up in a search, it was local and made sense. Their phone No. is 020 8546 2388

Ian Mellin":2slgvlo0 said:
MilesH[quote="MilesH":2slgvlo0 said:
wallace":2slgvlo0 said:
"]Acquired this machine a few weeks ago. Early eighties version. Machine No. 12"BAO/S 825347. Nice clean example with original paintwork. I need to convert it to run on 240v single phase supply and change the cutterblock to a Shelix spiral one.
MilesH":2slgvlo0 said:
wallace":2slgvlo0 said:

hello, i have a BOAS 12 plainer thicknesser the same as you, mine is also three phase, but i found it cheaper and a far lot less haste to buy a static phase converter and run a 16amp cable from the fuse box in my shed to the phase converter. The company I got the phase converter from was called Motor Run phase converters based in in Kingston upon Thames KT1 3DS, they provided me with as static converter that is easily powerful enough to run the both motors comfortably. I was thinking of rewiring and going down the single phase route but this came up in a search, it was local and made sense. Their phone No. is 020 8546 2388[/quote]

I agree with your suggestion as I also have this machine and use a phase converter, it works fine. It's a great machine, absolutely love it. I had problems to start with when using the thicknesser until I realised that it is crucial to let the main motor for the cutter start up first before switching on the auxiliary motor for the feed rollers, otherwise the VFD cannot cope. Also I have to 'boost' the phase converter for the first few seconds to get the cutter moving, in either planer or thicknesser mode, which just means turning up the setting on the phase converter for a second or two then putting it back to normal.

Hi all,
Sorry for the lack of updates. My BAOS is still somewhat dismantled....
Now my workshop is finally finished will be making progress with this again. Together with all the other machines....

Back