Wadkin 10 AGS dimension saw versus Kity 619

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdyG

Reaction score
Hi guys, I’m some what of a beginner with woodworking. I’ve done a fair bit but moving forward I have a lot of plans. I’m a keen upcycler using various materials. I’ve had my eye on both the saws mentioned above and have an opportunity to get one... but which one? Please can you help. I want to get it right and buy a saw that will last and I can use for a lot of jobs with an accurate cut. Reading reviews is conflicting at best so looking for people with experience.

Thanks in advance for taking the time.

You should get some interesting, probably contrasting replies!

These are 2 very different machines each very good in their own sector of the market.

Kity: does it have the sliding table and if so do you have the space to use it?

Wadkin: is it single phase?

In general Kity is an aly, nicely machined hobby machine, the Wadkin is a cast iron industrial machine, albeit at the small end.

Can you give some detail on the sort of work you want to do on the saw?

My gut feeling is the Wadkin will be the machine that can be fettled for long term repeatable accuracy.

I have had a Wadkin AGS/P for about 25 years and I don't think I've had to spend a single penny on repairs or maintenance. Mine had a few accuracy issues when I got it- I had to do some adjusting - but it is now very accurate. There are a few annoying aspects to the design, such as a gap in the measuring scales on the crosscut fence, and that despite being described as a panel saw, it won't cut a standard 8X4 panel. It is a very dependable, solid machine. I've never used the Kity but perhaps someone else can help you there.

Appreciate the replies guys thanks. I’m looking forward to reading more posts in this forum.

The gent selling the Wadkin got a better offer. It’s a reliable looking machine. I’ll have time to do some more research.

Thanks again

What supply have you got...13a or 16amp sockets ?
Guessing you dont have three phase
I run a three phase Startrite DS275 on a 13a plug...
I wouldn't be able to run a significantly more expensive single phase version of this saw as it would need 16a, hence the reason for a three phase motor and £100 quid VFD.
Very easy to hook up and use, and you can tailor the machine to whatever supply you have.
I chose this saw for a good few reasons, which is in some other threads on this
forum...
no 1 ...Dual voltage motor 3hp
2 Biggest capacity of cut than on other similar machines (cut depth)
3 slot each side of the blade for sleds
4 riving knife
5 left tilting ARBOR ....as in the fence stays at 90 and the blade tilts (to the left)
prob more but I have to go.
Look up the 275 and VFD's/inverters if you want choice and value.
Good luck
Tom

Latest posts

Back