Vintage tools WILL BE available at Great Dorset Steam 2018

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toolsntat

Yep, I collect tools and tat
Reaction score
EDIT
size]

News is that the"Autojumble" section is not going to be included in this years set up :shock: #-o
Still be one of the Greatest Shows on Earth but the opportunity to see and buy some vintage tat won't be there :cry:
Cheers Andy

Perhaps too many problems with stolen items from local (and not so local) farmers being sold there, the ongoing issues with public order amongst some of those selling the aforementioned items, and possibly an attempt to clean-up the image a bit? Even last year's auto-jumble section was a shadow of what it used to be in the 1990s.

That's a shame. Having gone there for the first time last year, I rather enjoyed the souvenir stalls!
This year's is likely to be the biggest ever, in celebration of the fair's 50th birthday.
Where else could you find this range of impulse buys?
Screenshot_2018-03-03-21-01-19.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-03-03-21-01-19.jpg
    Screenshot_2018-03-03-21-01-19.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 685
Yes, I must admit I always headed there first on arrival (or on the first day when I used to have an exhibit there in the 90s). Usually some interesting stuff, impossible to find anywhere else, to be found.

But in recent times it's always been the source of any trouble and police presence required so it might be that Martin Oliver's decided enough is enough. More likely though is that with supposedly 500 steam traction engines turning up, plus other extra exhibits, there simply isn't enough space on the site - I'd overlooked that it was the 50th anniversary. Hoping to go on the Friday this year.

As an exhibitor at the show I can clear up this rumour. The Auto-jumble section is the bit on the other side of the top hedge, in with the working tractor section. That is being cancelled for this year as space is required for exhibits. The trade stall area which is the main market area is still being held this year. The top half for secondhand / collectables / old tools etc, the bottom half for new stuff / tools etc. The constant rumours about trouble around the site as always is mainly internet hysteria.
We have exhibited there for the past 20 years and the most trouble we have seen is a group of high spirited youths turning over a Tardis Toilet and another of a few drunks haveing a punch up one evening. Considering there are at anyone time around 25,000 people on site , it a very very safe and quiet place to be.

Makes sense, last year there was a lot of empty space in the Trade Stand area.
Amazed me just how many stall holders, had come over from Ireland.

Bod

Thanks DM.
500 traction engines will need a LOT of space!

And a lot of coal too!

And when I mentioned trouble I certainly didn't mean the whole site. I remember in about 1994 I think when the show had got almost a bit too big and there were huge problems with theft and damage, the year after that a drastically cut-down show was held with much better security in place, and to be fair since then, despite having crept back up in size, has remained remarkably trouble-free generally.

Back