Victorian Glass House Brackets

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garethharvey

Established Member
Reaction score
I am about to complete my glasshouse build but struggling to find some cast iron brackets. I really think these need to be fitted in the apex of the roof and where the roof meets the walls. The only issue I have is the angles are not 90 degrees. There are plenty of brackets around, but struggling to find a supplier that can make some custome ones.

Would anyone have any suggestions, I am going mad here looking.

May not look pretty but can’t you mount them on a tapered wooden base to produce the required angle?

Rod

Harbo":2lztn3l1 said:
May not look pretty but can’t you mount them on a tapered wooden base to produce the required angle?

Rod

I don’t think that would work, the angle is 132 degrees

Attachments

• E0C6F283-9466-4DF3-8177-E3764161641A.jpeg
    E0C6F283-9466-4DF3-8177-E3764161641A.jpeg
    241.8 KB · Views: 135
garethharvey":2rhbg91o said:
phil.p":2rhbg91o said:
Find a blacksmith to make them? They wouldn't be cast, obviously, but they'd probably be stronger.

Looks like this may be the only option. Thanks

+1

Any local blacksmith or even those guys who make iron railings would knock those up very easily in mild steel. We have a local guy here who welds and fabricates for the farmers and he'd have no problems.

If you're in rural area just ask a farmer, there's usually a small fabricator around to fix their equipment.

That looks very nice - I would be interested in seeing some more details of your construction, not only but including your roof glazing detail (are you using glazing bars?)

I have a long outstanding project to rebuild a Victorian greenhouse - I thought I had found just the right cast iron brackets but they were the wrong angle.

I found years ago a whole set of fittings for a Victorian greenhouse, but just lost out on these - I kept the picture of the brackets however as I like the style and I think they are easily replicated by a good blacksmith. Here’s the picture - it might just work for yours.

33359257-BC9E-4BF1-AD89-905FCD97717F.jpeg

Incidentally, I found after a bit of searching a mouthwatering old catalogue for Messenger greenhouses - I cannot find the source now, but if you are interested pm me and I will send you a copy of the pdf.

Cheers

Attachments

• 33359257-BC9E-4BF1-AD89-905FCD97717F.jpeg
    33359257-BC9E-4BF1-AD89-905FCD97717F.jpeg
    54 KB · Views: 94
scholar":1tj63kaq said:
That looks very nice - I would be interested in seeing some more details of your construction, not only but including your roof glazing detail (are you using glazing bars?)

I am using 3X2 as the rafters with small 'o' ring rubbers pushed into a routed out channel. The glazing bars are then 1X3/4, the same system as the rafters with the 'o' ring, these are screwed down from above. Will upload some pics when it's finished.

Back