Vices - Fitting a Record Bench Vice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulm

IG paulm_outdoors
Reaction score
Here's some pics of fitting the second vice as I forgot to take any of the first :oops:

DSCN3458.jpg

This is the secondhand vice, bit scruffy to start with but nothing a wirebrush and airline couldn't clean up. Took the opportunity to clean the thread as well and sprayed liberally with pfte spray so the action is nice and smooth. This one is a Record 52 1/2 quick release, a big heavy beast !

DSCN3468.jpg

Next thing to do was make up an mdf template for the vice mounting holes and also with cut outs for the reinforcing ribs on the vice.

Used the template to cut and drill four more bits of mdf the same and glued them all together as a spacer block for under the bench so that the vice could be mounted with the top of the jaws about 1" below the top of the bench.

I cut the mdf blanks to size, then glued them together and then with the template on top drilled and made the cut outs all in one.

Found that four pieces of 15mm mdf gave me just the right overall thickness of 60mm for the spacer.

DSCN3466.jpg

Then using the single most useful tip ever I used a stout piece of timber and held it vertically against the bench and marked the timber where I wanted the top of the vice jaw to be, about 1" below the bench top, then put the piece of timber in the vice with the jaws at the marked point and tightened it up. It's then really easy to position the vice in place against the bench with the piece of timber taking all the weight (which is pretty considerable !).

Having checked that the vice workings were going to clear the bench leg, I then used the template to mark the mounting holes and drilled the bench, using a large spade bit to a depth of around 5mm so that the coach bolt heads would be below the surface of the bench, and then drilled through the bottom of the large holes with a smaller spade bit. I was using 10mm by 130mm bolts so made the holes 12mm to make sure there was a bit of adjustment for lining everything up. Would have used 12mm bolts if I could have found any but had to take what I could get at B&Q as I didn't want to wait for a Screwfix delivery !

DSCN3470.jpg

Then positioned the spacer block on the vice and moved the whole thing into place, still taking all the weight with the piece of timber in the vice, dropped the bolts through and tightened them all up, making sure the back of the vice jaw was tight against the edge of the bench. Could have taken a rebate out of the front edge of the bench so that the front face of the back jaw was flush, but decided to do it this way instead.

DSCN3473.jpg

Picture of the vice and spacer block from underneath in case I haven't explained very well.

DSCN3477.jpg

Then used a piece of my reclaimed oak flooring to edge the bench top, cutting out a suitable recess for the rear vice jaw.

Took the time to give the front face of the vice a couple of coats of blue hammerite paint to smarten it up.

DSCN3455.jpg

Then fitted another piece of oak flooring over the front of the first piece and covering the exposed rear vice jaw. Unfortunately the vice jaw protruded a couple of mill in front of the rebated piece of oak so on the second piece I had to skim a shallow recess on the back to compensate and allow it to sit flush.

DSCN3480.jpg

Then I made up a front jaw facing by laminating three pieces of oak flooring, cutting a recess first in the back piece so that it would sit over the front vice jaw. Cut off the corners on the tablesaw and drilled some benchdog holes.

DSCN3461.jpg

DSCN3462.jpg

Mounted the jaw facing on to the front jaw, fastened with a couple of stout coach screws through the front as I couldn't find any bolts to match the threaded holes ( sorry Paul C !).

Planed the bench lipping and top of the vice jaw flush and a couple of coats of Danish to seal the oak.

DSCN3482.jpg

DSCN3483.jpg

DSCN3484.jpg

Also fitted a new front apron having removed the original to make fitting the vice easier.

Just need to make up some new drawer units sometime to sit underneath the bench and give it some weight.

Hope this helps someone else understand better how to go about fitting a bench vice.

Whether the new vices willl help me cut better dovetails remains to be seen though :oops: :lol:

Cheers, Paul. :D

That's a very handy guide, chisel, thanks for sharing. :) I'm sure I'll find it useful again when I eventually get around to building myself a new bench. :wink:

Looking at where your bench is situated in the corner of your workshop, is it not difficult working from the vice at the front of your bench? Or are you left-handed? It looks a bit too close to the corner, that's all. :)

As luck would have it, I've got a Record bench vice awaiting fitting :) . Thanks for the post.

Gill

OPJ":3740og4t said:
Looking at where your bench is situated in the corner of your workshop, is it not difficult working from the vice at the front of your bench? Or are you left-handed? It looks a bit too close to the corner, that's all. :)

Ideally I wouldn't have the bench towards the corner Olly, but it's okay for most things in practice, and I can't even begin to imagine how I would go about re-organising everything to better positions, it would be like one of those chinese puzzles I think where I'd have something spare left over at the end ! :lol:

The posting was originally quite a while ago so since then I've added a couple of drawer units (good old mdf with full extension slides) which adds some more mass, and drilled the front apron and right front leg to take a dowel support or veritas benchfast thing, so reasonably flexible and practical.

The top and the vice jaws have round dog holes too for the homemade planing stops/dogs and the veritas benchpups and holdfasts.

A modest affair in woodworking terms but does the business alright.

Cheers, Paul :D

thanks for the post. I was trying to figure out how these get attached. I will give it a shot. I can't wait to get one of these on my bench

cambournepete":2s3egbrd said:
Gill":2s3egbrd said:
As luck would have it, I've got a Record bench vice awaiting fitting :) . Thanks for the post.Gill
I second that, twice.
I have 2 record vices to fit (52.5ED, <£40 the pair, inc free collapsing bench).

Me too. £40 the pair. Thanks for the guide.

I have just fitted one of these along with another smaller record one with the rectangle bench dog (£30 for the pair at my local tat shop), I only wish I had read this guide before I started as it took me a long time with a lot of head scratching and seemed considerably harder than you made it look. The tip with the length of timber clamped in to the vice would have been invaluable. Great guide and now bookmarked for the future. Cheers =D>

Paulm? That's 'zactly how I did mine. One question? My Record 52 (or 53?) has sloped faces to pinch together at the top. One Murricane author, Tom Begnal, advised body filler between the bench-side wood and the metal jaw to bring the vice face parallel and plumb when lined with wood. I just winged it on the bench side, there's a cavity in there I guess, but I did adjust the recess for the moving face by shims to make a solid fit of wood on metal. What - if anything - did you do? Or, are you happy with sloping faces?

Sam

SammyQ":22abymqg said:
One question? My Record 52 (or 53?) has sloped faces to pinch together at the top.

They are deliberately designed that way so that they grip the work better. Don't try to make the faces parallel.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Just a thought for you, where the packers now form a sort of "tower" I would have made them oversize to give increased vice to bench surface area stability :idea:
As stated earlier that pinch in the jaws is essential and can be reproduced with tapered jaws if the slides have worn too much.

Cheers
Andy

Thanks, Pauls M and C; just did a bit of research and both Record and Paramo did indeed deliberately build in a slope to the vice faces. Rhetorically speaking, I wonder where the American fashion of parallel vice cheeks came from? But then we are talking about the race who shunned riving knives until just a short time ago...AND they use long fences, extending past the saw blade....

Sam

Hi Guys, I came across this site while googling "vice fitting", and I am so glad that I did! It is clearly a friendly, helpful and welcoming site which I shall enjoy belonging to.
I recently picked up a Record 52 1/2 vice locally from fleabay for £14.00. and the other contributors are right! It is a monstrous lump which would have been a nightmare for me to fit, had it not been for Paul M's wonderful tip about using a stout length of timber to support the vice while fitting! Many thanks, Paul!

Cheers

Colin

You're welcome Colin :)

To be honest though I got the tip from someone else so just passed it on, glad you found it helpful !

And welcome to the forum of course :)

Cheers, Paul

I can see this post coming in very handy in the near future.
Many thanks for sharing. :)

As I am building a bench, I just tipped the bench top over to fit my Parkinson Perfect no15. but the tip about holding the vice up on a plank is welcome for next time on a built bench.

DSC02114_zps6dd838a9.jpg

DSC02110_zps862281c7.jpg

Bought one of the toolstation vices for my bench lasted a few weeks and cost a fair bit for what I got, not long after up early on a Sunday took a trip to a car boot sale and got myself a record vice for £4, don't know why I didn't think of looking here first... Shall be from now on though a second vice wouldn't hurt.

Got home and fitted same way as you have only difference being I just bodged my spacer from pallet wood, not had any issues and the vice after cleaning thread every now and then works great.

Back