VB36 Vibrations

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lazurus

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I have never had this before, I have a small vibration appeared on the VB, I have taken the chuck off in case it was that, still there. I have run the motor without the belts on, not there so I guess that rules out the motor. Bearings adjusted and lubed, still there, belts appear ok not hard or cracked. It appears in two spots through the high speed range almost like a resonance in a helicopter, its not at all speeds. I cannot see anything untoward and I haven't noticed it before. Older Model VB serial 1059, anyone suggest what else to check.

Maybe go round all bolts/screws and check they are tight, perhaps something worked loose and only vibrates at a specific rpm. Turning the spindle by hand, can you feel any resistance at a specific point in its rotation?

Everything appears tight and even, I reset the thrust bearings and they were lubricated last week, I cannot see anything obvious and the vibration is subtle but definitely there, shaft run smoothly no obvious failings.

I am not familiar with this particular machine, is there anything else you can easily remove and still run it to test? tailstock/lamp fittings etc

Worth a google as it is a beast with huge capacity and a reputation for very very smooth running

this could be a few things, first is to try it with both the thin and thick belts on different pulleys, this will rule out if you have some dirt stuck in the belts or pulleys causinga noise like a stone stuck in your car tyre.
next is to get a straight edge and check the pulley alignment.
Check that the allen head grub screws in the pulleys are tight, these can be difficult to get access to.
what grease are you using and have you checked the rear oil pot is clean? sometimes if grease is applied with a big grease gun with too much force it can pass the oil seal and contaminate the rear bearing.
hope this helps, call or pm me if I can help further.

Thanks guys,

I have a few things to check and double check over the week end, will report back.

You can also try running it with the belt not around the motor pulley. If it still vibrates, there's something in the motor causing your vibrations.

jurriaan":3kfg06xd said:
You can also try running it with the belt not around the motor pulley. If it still vibrates, there's something in the motor causing your vibrations.

Lazurus":3kfg06xd said:
...... I have run the motor without the belts on, not there so I guess that rules out the motor. .......

Thanks for all the advice, I checked all the relevant grub screws and bolts with nothing amiss, so I gave all the pulleys a good clean with a bronze brush and readjusted the thrust bearings and gave them another squirt of grease, something worked as it all appears smooth again now.

Stuart

Back