Varnishing/sealing a sanded plank floor?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonzjob

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Ex nr Carcassonne, France. Now Corston Malmesbury
We have now started the move into our new, to us, bungalow. My first job is to sand and seal the lounge/diner and 2 bedrooms, about 60 sq M in all. I will be hiring a floor sander/edge sander combo, but I am not sure what is the best way to seal or varnish it afterwards? In France I could buy a hard wax oil that would have done the job, but the stuff I have bought here, Fiddes (I think? It's packed !!) doesn't seem to be so hard wearing?

Any ideas as to the best to use would be very handy and appreciated.

If I ever see another dammed box it will be too soon. This is the second part of a double move back from France :shock: :shock: :shock:

You could go for Osmo PolyX Oil, its been pretty good on my floors considering the dog and my tendency to forget to take my shoes off and they all have Blakeys at the heel and toe due to having a gimpy walk that wears them out in a weird way.

check out wood finishes direct

So Brexit for you really did mean brexit :)

I've used Ronseal Diamond acrylic floor varnish to great effect.

As a family of 5 with 2 dogs it lasted years and I only had to patch before we moved.

I know some people don't like the surface appearance of the water based finishes but for us this stuff was virtually bomb proof.

The problem with the sand glider is it's over twice the price!! All ordered now and being delivered tomorrow morning floor and edge sander. I have an interesting couple of hours making sure there were no nail heads sticking proud today. I shall go to sleep hearing 'BANG BANG'

I'm just wondering now if I will be using the Osmo Polyx Oil or Ronseal Diamond Hard Floor Varnish from Wood finishes direct. The oil is my preference, but it's 8 hours between coats while the varnish is just 2 hours. 3 coats of the oil would take about 3 daze as opposed to 1 1/2 for the varnish? We need to be able to just about fill the front bedroom with boxes and furniture ASAP, so ??

If someone would kindly stop the world I promise to leave quietly :? :? :?

Jonzjob":1somvl67 said:
The problem with the sand glider is it's over twice the price!! ....

But well worth it for the lack of dust. Of course, I'm in the fortunate position of having my own secondhand one :D
Jonzjob":1somvl67 said:
I'm just wondering now if I will be using the Osmo Polyx Oil .....

I never get on with the oils...the smell is enough to put me off.

I did use diamondhard. First time round with 4 coats and then redid with osmo 2 tears later

I used the osmo on a sanded back repaired oak floor. I applied lightly by pads and gave it a 'buff' by hand( just took care to apply evenly and stretch it out tbh , it's not rocket science) . I don't think I left it more than 1/2 an hour before repeating. In the end I put a good few coats on with short waits before re application... Key was 'just enough'. It's held up to young kids and all that malarkey for a year or so with no incident. Personally it's worked brilliantly for my floor and it still looks mustard. I'd have no doubts using it again.
Which is good because I have the rest of the downstairs to do at some point....
:|
Cheers
Chris

I prefer to varnish, especially if it is a soft wood floor and I've had great results using Bona and Blanchon products and if you want a flat matt finish I would recommend Blanchon Oceanic.

And by way of sanding advice, I would strongly recommend hiring machines with castors on the bottom and a mechanism that enables you to raise and lower the drum to the floor. They are so much easier to use than the old lawnmower style sanders and give a great finish.

Good luck!

Albatros, I believe that the one arriving tomorrow is one of the casterated :shock: type as in the instructions it tells you to lift and gently lower it? I will see?

I still like the oils and have used them in a lot of situations although not on this scale? I like the idea of the oil and being able to reinstate any problems (not sure that's the right expression, but the way I feel at the mo it will do). The idea of being able to go over it quite quickly too. The smell doesn't really me.

My first try tomorrow with the sander will be directly after a visit to the dentist, so it has to be better :roll:

Back