Vacuum Chucks - are they worth it?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lazurus

Established Member
Reaction score
Can I ask for input from anyone using a vacuum chuck, are they worth the expense, what size pump (4cfm looks about right) and are they one of those things that just sits on the shelf!!
All comments appreciated.

Stuart

Very handy for reverse chucking otherwise difficult to hold items such as natural edge bowls or platters too big for cole jaws. Quite easy to make your own using your shop vac (if your lathe has a hollow headstock) search the forum and you will find a wip I did a while ago.

I use my set up on a regular basis for holding all manner of items, Bowls, Hollow Forms, Vessels, Pots etc etc using various Vacuum Chucks most of which are Shop made to suit the various shapes I turn.

Also very useful when remounting any piece that need refining or truing up.

You should not use a Shop Vac as the motor is air cooled, and of course you pull a Vacuum and starve the motor cooling system of air, the motor will eventually cut out due to overheating and anything one Lathe will fly.

Richard

Have used a shop vac with no issues, i have a bleed hole in the pipe to allow some air through. Of course it's up to the individual to assess the risks involved.

It's one of those tools that if you have a need for it, it's indispensable. Otherwise, as you said, it just sits doing nothing most of the time.

I made my own using a £50, 1.8CFM vacuum pump off ebay. You can now get a 2.5CFM pump for £56.
I also made a coupling rod because I wasn't sure if the headstock would leak.

Vacuum pump used with vacuum chamber made from a stainless steel saucepan with an 8mm polycarbonate lid.
Vacuum Chamber 1 (Medium) - Copy.JPG

Attachments

• Vacuum Chamber 1 (Medium) - Copy.JPG
    Vacuum Chamber 1 (Medium) - Copy.JPG
    156.2 KB · Views: 1,162
That's great, thanks for all the advice, I was also looking at a vacuum chamber to assist with resin casting so a 2 for 1 pump sounds like a winner.

Stuart

If I remember correctly the thread in the body of the pump to take the tee piece, was not 1/8 or 1/4 BSP (taper? - possibly 3/16). Luckily there is a helpful hydraulics supplier locally who had the correct adaptor as a stock item.

I chose 8mm pipe & push fittings because they are cheap & readily available as well as making connection & disconnection easy. Not that there was any science behind the choice other than it seemed to be a size in common use.

As I have BSP taps I used a threaded fitting for the chamber lid. There are also compression type fittings which will seal if using a plain hole.

If anyone wants details of my vacuum rod & chucks, ask & I'll sort out the details.

Back