Using adhesive with roofing felt

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alder

Established Member
Reaction score
Has anyone any experience of using an adhesive to glue down roofing felt to the plywood roof beneath? If so which adhesive?
Russell

Are you looking for a full seal or just something to help hold it in place?

When I re-roofed our little storage shed I needed to tack it in place to stop it sliding around, I just used spray carpet adhesive which I always have on hand anyway, worked a treat. I also put some clear silicone under the overlap joint before nailing it since the wind got under the old one and pushed water under the lap, it's almost a flat pitch.
Roof still looks brand new 3 years later and not a bit of water has got under it not has the felt bubbled up or lifted anywhere even after severe storms.

I am building a small Potting shed with mono pitch roof. Experience with the garden shed next door to the proposed location suggests the i need to do something better that just nail and battens to hold the felt down. With that shed i eventually used box profile sheets over the new felt. I want this job to require less attention than the previous one.
I was thinking of using Wickes corrugated bitumen sheets over the felt.
Russell

You can get an acrylic liquid which can be brushed on even when the felt is wet. Useful if you get a tear or split, and I THINK it acts as an adhesive too. Might be worth checking out. I think it was called Acrylux, but that's just one brand name.

K

Back