Using a Lathe

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dalboy

Established Member
Reaction score
I keep looking at all the subject that are being posted and have notice the amount of amature lathe mechanics we have on here but not many turners.
There are very few posts on completed work so do any of you actually use your tools or are they just there as orniments.
I am not saying that we should not help people with problems after all this is what the forums are for but they are also for people to show their work.
I am sure that many are not that novice and afraid to show what they turn. So come on lets see your work.
This does not mean that the novice can't show their work as many can help you to inprove if you have a problem with a finish or why you get certain marks on the turning.
I have not put this to upset anyone but to see if it will encourage more work to be shown.

This is not for arguments to start but sensible answers

OK I am ready to start ducking.

I've split the topic so it can revert back to the original post.
(other post here... post1207985.html)

I agree with you Mr.D

I originally arrived at the forum having been gifted a lathe and having no idea what to do with it. I asked 'stupid' questions, which of course weren't stupid as I didn't know the answers. Members were more than helpful and generous with their time and advice. Some members even sent me small items at their own cost to help me. My first gouge purchase was even sent from the shop to another member (a professional turner no less :) ) who profiled and sharpened it and then forwarded it to me. I shared my issues and photos of my work even a video or two, and again got nothing but helpful and timely advice in return.
Without taking the plunge and the perceived threat of embarrassment I would surely not have progressed as far as I did. Unfortunately I dont get much time in the shed now so my contribution to the forum is limited to moderating at the moment but when I get back in the shed hopefully my efforts will be worth sharing again.

I don't think Wood Turning could have been more basic than mine when I first started.
All the precision metal turning and engineering knowledge is of little use when you get a piece of steel in your hand and approach a bit of spinning wood that has a mind of its own and a desire to challenge you.

Thank you Nev.
Like yourself and Chas I also learnt by showing my work and getting feed back from various forums. It is also nice to see work from beginners right through to the experienced turners hence the reason for posting this in the first place hopefully to encourage others to post their work.
I also find that some of the little projects take a little work and effort but does not put me off turning so posting a few photo's is childs play compared to them

Dalboy - did you mean to post photos of work to this thread specifically (a kind of 'Photo of the last thing you made' thread), or more generally to the Turning part of the forum?

Chris152":2c42ui4p said:
Dalboy - did you mean to post photos of work to this thread specifically (a kind of 'Photo of the last thing you made' thread), or more generally to the Turning part of the forum?
It was a observasion on the amount of work being shown on the woodturning section of the forum. Not to be posted on this thread. If you start a new post so that people can see it rather than getting lost here in this post.
Hope that made sense

I very rarely post my work because is isn't good enough. When I do, it's normally as a visual aid or a how not to do it.
I do however enjoy seeing the work of others & appreciate, not only their skills & expertise but also the time & trouble they take to make them available on the forum.

CHJ":3i959afu said:
I don't think Wood Turning could have been more basic than mine when I first started.
All the precision metal turning and engineering knowledge is of little use when you get a piece of steel in your hand and approach a bit of spinning wood that has a mind of its own and a desire to challenge you.

I second this, after many years of engineering in all it's form i though turning wood would be quite easy, how wrong was i. Yes the work piece spins but there it ends.
I chose to do a one day course with a very nice guy down Eastbourne way. He taught me to walk again in turning terms.

Robbo3":akw5e3q2 said:
I very rarely post my work because is isn't good enough. When I do, it's normally as a visual aid or a how not to do it.
I do however enjoy seeing the work of others & appreciate, not only their skills & expertise but also the time & trouble they take to make them available on the forum.

I think that it is a good idea to post as it gives others in the same position to also post and you may get some useful hints at how to avoid the problems

phil.p":akw5e3q2 said:
Maybe people should be encouraged to comment? The last two pieces I posted didn't elicit one single comment - I wondered why I'd bothered. :D

I do try to comment but I confess that sometimes I miss posts I can't speak for every one else. I think as a turning comunnity that we should engage with those that put up their work. and not just reply to all the mechanical bits which was what prompted this post in the first place.

Just seen this older post, I am happy to post pictures but have been unable to do so via my ipad due to the size restriction and cant be doing with the resizing software required even if the apple OS would let me use it, all the other forums I am on have no such issues..........

I would love to post pictures of some of my work,unfortunately my skill with modern technology does not meet the same standards of my work and I don't have a clue how to post a photo.Before everyone jumps up and down saying it's simple let me say that I received some excellent screwdrivers from my secret Santa that I photographed and tried many times to post but was unable to I felt so guilty! Please remember that to some people the language used by people familiar with the process of posting photos may be pure gobbledygook to a technophobe such as I.Make the posting of pictures easier and I am sure you would get a lot more posts of forum members work.

kevinlightfoot":e1mbzjng said:
I would love to post pictures of some of my work,unfortunately my skill with modern technology does not meet the same standards of my work and I don't have a clue how to post a photo.Before everyone jumps up and down saying it's simple let me say that I received some excellent screwdrivers from my secret Santa that I photographed and tried many times to post but was unable to I felt so guilty! Please remember that to some people the language used by people familiar with the process of posting photos may be pure gobbledygook to a technophobe such as I.Make the posting of pictures easier and I am sure you would get a lot more posts of forum members work.

There is a photo posting how-to at the top of each section.

If your photos are too large, try emailing them to yourself.

PM me your email address & when I reply email them to me & I'll resize them or even post them for you.

Using the correct terminology, although a pain, ensures that there are no misunderstandings. It's like riding a bicycle - once you've learned you wonder why you ever wobbled. :)

Thanks Robbo,I am away at the moment but when I get home I will try again and hopefully succeed following your advice.Usually when I try to do these things my frustration gets the better of me but if I do get it right as you say I wonder what all the fuss was about.My wife,God love her,tries to help but when I get impatient she gets the huff and we end up either falling out or giving up,why isn't it simple like cutting mitred dovetails!

It is a pity that genuine, non-commercial environments like this forum fail to attract more active members because it has the potential to be a great destination for sharing the fruits of our craft.

Attachments

• DSC03757com ss.jpg
    DSC03757com ss.jpg
    217.2 KB · Views: 599
Nice piece of work bobajobob.

That is the reason I made this post in the beginning, I think there needs to be a equal mix of questions and people posting there work but it just seems that so many only answer the technical questions and don't seem to do any turning.

I haven't been very active on here because of the l-o-n-g move from France back to Blighty. Followed by almost a year in rented with my lathe buried in the small shed outside and now just waiting for the contract exchange on our new to us place. But I do believe that I am getting there and when I do I will post photos again. But here is an old one to go on with :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Attachments

• Wooden clock assembled 1 small.jpg
    Wooden clock assembled 1 small.jpg
    234.7 KB · Views: 237
Back