Using a fostner bit on an angled workpice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

E-wan

Established Member
Reaction score
I want to cut a large hole approximately 50 mm in diameter to slide a pipe through a pice of wood at 45 degrees.

Assuming everything is held in place very family buy bolting the workpiece through slots in the drill press table are there any safety concerns for trying to cut this with a fostner bit in a drill press?

Diagram below

Thanks

Ewan

b4001690bbae5e883ec1b6a1857b6f60.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Personally I would make a guide that mates with the above and can be clamped firmly in place as well. That allows the bit to enter perpendicular to the horizontal and then peck drill until I knew the forstner bit was well into the lower piece. Remove the guide and than continue until done. This ensures that the bit enters exactly where wanted and as true as possible.
HTH

If you have not already cut the workpiece to shape drill first while the blank is square then cut to shape.

I'm with both Droogs and Phil P.

I had a project that needed six holes like that, so made a jig to support the workpiece at the correct angle, and a guide, made by drilling through a block then cutting it on the correct angle, which could be clamped on top.

I find alignment is tricky when doing this sort of thing. It helps a lot to make your guide block dead square before drilling - it doesn't have to be a cube. If you mark the centre with lines that go to the block edges, and carry those down the sides too (and then cut through it at an angle), you can use those for dead-on alignment later, by making similar lines on the workpiece.

As long as the Forstner bit is tightly constrained by the block, and that in turn is tightly clamped to the workpiece, you shouldn't get tearout on the upper side. You can avoid it completely on the other side by clamping a piece of waste to that, but for a lot of big holes you will need a lot of "waste" available.

Also helps if your Forstner is properly sharp to start with. And for 50mm diameter I'd have the pillar drill on a slow RPM as the linear speed at the edge will be quite high otherwise.

Plenty of ideas then. Thanks.
I think I'll probably leave the FAMAG bits but they do look nice.

Ewan

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Back