UPVC trickle vents.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Suffolkboy

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
We get a fair bit of condensation on our windows in the house, I've just stumbled on these trickle vents on the internet that they say can be fit to windows that don't already have them as well as replacing existing units.

Does anyone have any experience of fitting these to windows that don't have them?

https://www.handlesandhinges.co.uk/300m ... -fittings/

Thanks.

I fitted them to one of our windows, as we also get condensation. They're pretty easy to fit, but I can't say I noticed much of a difference in reduction of condensation.

One thing to bear in mind is the the noise levels, the seal on them is very basic.

Most upvc windows will lock shut a stop out from being closed - why bother?

They provide a constant source of ventilation without having to worry that you've left the window open. Also - you don't have to worry about thieves breaking in.

Dual locking positions are much better than trickle vents. At least then in the depth of winter you can shut up the windows tight and run a dehumidifier which is a much better way to clear condensation and stop mould.

phil.p":33mmjau9 said:
You can still lock the windows, though, and if people want to get in badly enough, they will.

Of course. But I doubt the insurance company would pay out.

Rorschach":3trt0e0g said:
Dual locking positions are much better than trickle vents. At least then in the depth of winter you can shut up the windows tight and run a dehumidifier which is a much better way to clear condensation and stop mould.

I'd have to agree with this. I have had much better results with my dehumifier.

phil.p":2gvlyh9p said:
They can be pigs to fit as usually the access is poor. Most upvc windows will lock shut a stop out from being closed - why bother?

Most... But not all! Including mine. They don't have that feature, the ones in our old h9use did...

Thanks everybody for your replies. I'll give it some consideration.

A lot will depend on your windows.
My BIL is an installer & he added some trickle vents to a couple of our older PVC windows.
The inner metal takes some drilling & he had to revert to an electric drill & a fair amount of effort. Each one took him 30-40 minutes.

Back