UPVC door lock replacement.... retaining screw problems

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RockingDad

Reaction score
Hi all. The shed build is going very well but I've come up against a problem fitting a new lock on a second hand upvc door. It didn't have a lock fitted so grabbed one I had spare to put in to ensure the locking mechanisms work ok and nothing is seized or snapped....I need to measure for a properly fitting one as it's short one side but it proved the lock works.

However, when I put the retaining screw in, it prevent me from fulling the handle up to activate the multi point locks. One obviously came out to remove the old lock so does anyone know what I'm doing wrong here? With the retaining screw in the lock turns ok to activate the main bolt and unlocked I can push the handle down...it seems the screw is going through the bar that pushes the multipoints and is preventing it from moving.

Any ideas anyone?

Cheers

Rockingdad

I going to guess that this is a Fullex or a Yale mechanism. You need to lift the handle of a Fullex to throw the bolts before fitting the screw. There is a keyhole shaped hole in the bar connected to the locking points, so the screw can pass through, but only with the locking points extended. If it's a Yale, you need a headless Allen screw to secure the cylinder, which when fully screwed in doesn't obstruct the mechanism.

Thanks for the reply setch :)

So some locks have a retaining bold that passes through the outer portion of the frame to secure on an internal surface past the shoot bolts? That would certainly explain the problem.

Rockingdad

I recently had to change my locks and I came up against exactly the same problem. It depends on the exact geometry of the door. Simply grind a couple of mm off that screw and all shall be well.

Back