Ultex Diamond Sharpening Stones

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

martin.a.ball

Established Member
Reaction score
ITS are having a sale. The single sided Ultex stones are £11.99 plus postage. I found a couple of old threads on here, does anyone have recent experience of using them?

Martin.

I bought a 300 and a 1200 a while back, they seem to be the equal of my ezelap plates which cost a LOT more. I bought them to use in my mobile kit, although I have been using the 300 quite a bit as new plates have more bite than worn ones (my ezelap's have seen a lot of use). I have read that people have found them to be out of flat sometimes, mine are fine, saying that I've never tested them with a straight edge, but they look flat and work fine.

Bought all four recently (300,600,1000, 1200) currently make a sharpening station for them.

Mine are flat on the front but back of the 1000 is slightly convex along the length, perhaps 1/10th of a mm in the 200mm length.

Plates new are a little scratchy but expect that’ll go with a bit of use.

Overall very happy for just over £40 for all four (although ultra fine on back order).

BEE11460-5307-4433-AF2F-123943E34F3A.jpeg

F.

Attachments

• BEE11460-5307-4433-AF2F-123943E34F3A.jpeg
    BEE11460-5307-4433-AF2F-123943E34F3A.jpeg
    132.8 KB · Views: 1,323
martin.a.ball":1jusmcfh said:
ITS are having a sale. The single sided Ultex stones are £11.99 plus postage. I found a couple of old threads on here, does anyone have recent experience of using them?
Not sure if you saw any other threads on inexpensive diamond plates but if you don't require them to be pre-mounted you can do a lot better than this. About 3-4 quid delivered from either ebay or AliExpress and the quality seems right up there.

My 1000# plate seen here seems no more worn >1 year on and it's been my primary honing surface for most of two-and-a-bit years.

martin.a.ball":1wg7sw4g said:

Martin.
Bought some a few months ago.

I have used them a lot to sharpen just about everything thing I have.

I don't see any difference in quality and wear resistance to a Faithful double-sided plate a I have.

So basically I don't think they will last as well as say DMTs or EZElaps...

I am not totally convinced by diamond stones to be honest (especially these cheaper ones). I'm thinking of getting into waterstones or oilstones.

thanks for all the replies. I wasn't aware of the DMD plates so I've filled that away for the future. I've also tried the wet and dry paper stuck to glass approach for restoration and sharpening having picked that up from some you tube videos.

I've decided to order the 300, 600 and 1000 grit plates from ITS, they'll be here tomorrow. Then I can build a permanent sharpening station.

By the way, the similar topics section below a thread appears to work a lot better than the regular search. Having posted this question I found out it has come up lots of times, so sorry if I bored the more regular forum members.

Latest posts

Back