Tyme Cub Tail Stock

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenboy-01

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi =, have just acquired a tyme Cub wood lathe and discovered that the threaded insert to the tail stock spindle is seize solid and cannot remove I also suspect that if it is a bearing insert at the rear then that to is seized and lastly I cannot determine whether it is a RH or LH Thread I am a newbie to lathes and knowledge at this stage is limited, are you able to help with enquirey.

Regards Ken

Hi Ken
I can't help much as although I had a cub many years ago I never had a problem with the tail stock and probably wouldn't remember anyway.
I suggest you soak the spindle mechanism in penetrating oil for a few days and then CAREFULLY try working the thread back and forward in tiny amounts and if it frees up you'll soon discover which thread it is. Failing that then heat may be your next recourse but you could destroy any bearing shielding if it happens to be plastic and you'll melt the grease out.

I do have some basic info on pdf ( not a manual ) which could be of interest so if you want that just pm me with your email address. It's also possible I may still have some odd bits for it if I haven't thrown them out. I did buy a tap ( 20 x 2mm ) so I could make faceplates etc for the headstock spindle.

cheers
Bob

Attachments

• TymeCub1.jpg
    TymeCub1.jpg
    212.8 KB · Views: 509
Hi Bob new to this forum, many thanks for your reply, but how do I PM you , cannot see any indications.

Ken

OK Ken got it but I suggest you edit your post and remove your email address as it's never a good idea on a public forum.
Will send you an email in a few minutes.

Back