Tyme cub chuck ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suzycavan

Reaction score
Hi my husband has a Tyme cub wood lathe I'm assure the thread on the spindle is 20mm x 2mm he has a chuck but its ancient and doesn't work very well so he has decided he needs a new one any suggestions please ? also is there a thread converter out there that could convert the spindle thread from 20x 2 mm to 1 inch x 8 tpi ?

Hi

You may need to buy a chuck that takes an insert, such like the Record Power SC4 which does have a 20mmx2 insert but that is a large chuck for a cub!
or perhaps a nova/Patriot/sc3 insert type also seem to have a suitable insert.

Good luck

Phil

Hi Suzy
The thread is definitely 20 x 2. I had a cub many years ago and bought a tap so I could cut my own faceplates etc, still have it somewhere in a drawer.
Can't help with the chuck but would have thought any small scroll chuck that takes an insert would do and then have the insert made by a local engineering shop if one not available. Shouldn't cost too much.
Perhaps a 3/4" adapter could be drilled out and tapped, maybe even the chuck itself as an option?

Cheers
Bob

That's a great find by Derek. If you buy that chuck it means should he want to upgrade his lathe in future you just need to buy a new insert and the chuck will be good to go. =D>

Lons":2wipcvoc said:
That's a great find by Derek. If you buy that chuck it means should he want to upgrade his lathe in future you just need to buy a new insert and the chuck will be good to go. =D>

Not just me that suggested the patriot as Doofusme also pointed it out in his post earlier in the thread

Latest posts

Back