TV licence requirements

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RogerS":39bxd1ic said:
ColeyS1":39bxd1ic said:
Say if you want to watch the other channels but not pay through the teeth for the bbc content ?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Most of it is streamable, isn't it ?

As I thought, you can stream live ITV and Channel 4 but not Channel 5 ...although some might say that's a Godsend. So there's your answer. The BBC can offer a two-tier system. Those who don't mind paying a licence can watch it off-air. Those who want to watch selected programmes can pay for it on subscription and stream it. Of course, you won't be able to watch all those shopping channels as they're off-air AFAIK.

There's another very good reason for the licence fee to continue and that is the impact that the BBC has on creating/performing/educating/promoting classical music in this country. All their orchestras. The BBC Proms - the world's largest classical music event. All that would go as I can't see how it would be funded.

thetyreman":1kf3a3hg said:
the most recent doctor who is the perfect example of trying to please everybody, whilst pleasing nobody at the same time, it's for me the worst series they've ever created, and not because the doctor is female, it's the cast, the PC ness of it and the poor quality writing. The series before it with capaldi was one of the best so it's a real let down in my opinion.

I thought you were writing about some new medical doctor series, lol, it wasn't until you mentioned Capaldi that I understood what you were writing about; punctuation and proper use of capitals is everything :).

But I do agree she's not great, bring back the first guy in the revival, Christopher Ecclestone - I thought he did "angsty, last of my species, seen it all and it's still rubbish" very well.

AndyT":nanz34kq said:
Quick practical question.

Remember that all the BBC's output is available, unmetered, with no subscriber ID, via a transmission tower and an aerial. ( Along with the rest of the Freeview channels.)
[snip]
What mechanism could be used to identify and bill everyone who wants the BBC channels using the existing transmitter and tuner delivery?
[snip]
Preferably one which doesn't need a whole lot of new electronics and extra energy to run it.

Snipped for salient points - I have looked and to watch something from the BBC on catchup via my Virgin Box I have to "sign in" to an account.

Never tried, but if it asked me for a licence fee issue number or some other identifier that I have one - that wouldn't suprise me, and if not - surely that would be the way to go right? Everyones utilities accounts are individually referenced, why not the BBC?

Most TV's are so smart now they can store that sort of info on the first registry so you just go straight to it next time.

All the technology is already employed in most other business that deal with the general public, such that people trying to access a duplicated account is rare.

TBH I think they are running out of excuses as to why this sytem is still used.

(I thought it was Whovian to denote a fan and abrogation - what a great word! )

You've missed my point.
I wasn't talking about streaming, but broadcasting. Electromagnetic waves, sent out from a transmitter, picked up by many tuners, all getting the same signal at the same time. Even smart TVs still include tuners.

Latest posts

Back