Turning Time in 2009

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Doug B":3fkhnuid said:
...How thin is the rim?
About 2mm Doug, but thickens out reasonably quickly as the bore follows the tapered glass used.

Have quite a lot of this deeply stained Ash but it has an aroma that defies all but the hardy to live with whilst wet, slowly drying it out and exposing it to fresh air to sweeten it.

I love these simple vases Chas and you've solved the only thing putting me off making them. i.e how to put water in them. I'll be on the hunt for cheap glasses

Chas,

That is a really good idea, I might just be tempted to try try it....sometime. :roll:
Interesting figure on the ash, was it looking good to start with or did it appear as you got down to size? :-k

wizer":1w8x45r1 said:
I love these simple vases Chas and you've solved the only thing putting me off making them. i.e how to put water in them. I'll be on the hunt for cheap glasses

Google test tubes. I use them for bud vases and they are really cheap. Also look out in charity shops, you often get odd shaped glasses that can be used. If you get them first you can make the shape of the vase to suit.

Pete

Bodrighy":215vbbjs said:
wizer":215vbbjs said:

Google test tubes. I use them for bud vases and they are really cheap. Also look out in charity shops, you often get odd shaped glasses that can be used. If you get them first you can make the shape of the vase to suit.

Pete

Cheers Pete. With a recent wedding pillaging me of all fun funds, I'm learning to be frugal. FreeCycle is my new hobby ;)

Keep your eyes open for wood on there. I've got a fair bit. Think old furniture....mahogany, oak etc. Down here you get cars, boats, and all sorts so it's worth checking regularly.

Pete

wizer":mubgpy89 said:

IKEA £4.59 for six.

DaveL":mubgpy89 said:
...Interesting figure on the ash, was it looking good to start with or did it appear as you got down to size?
The whole tree core was stained about 2/3 of trunk thickness Dave, colour distribution is down to blank cutting, although drying splits play a big part in the latter.

Bodrighy":g72xchn9 said:
Keep your eyes open for wood on there. I've got a fair bit. Think old furniture....mahogany, oak etc. Down here you get cars, boats, and all sorts so it's worth checking regularly.

Pete

See my next thread and my blog for more on this ;)

Paul.J":130idbbt said:
All very nice Chas,especially now more practicle with the glass inserts :D
At least the dry ones with dried flowers installed don't get you into trouble for forgetting the watering.

______Been Beeching again.______Click on image for larger view.

______
___________Beech__(202mm)

Another lovely shape,showing the timber off to best effect :D
Is it a keeper,or has it already got a new home ?

Andrew

Destined for customer Andrew. think there are two more out of this piece of timber but will have to wait and see if the spalting has gone too far.

I just can't get enough of that Spalted Beech ;-)

Lovely.

Loz

Jenx":9w3yde6m said:
...mostly that really nice rich honey, too.. rather than the paler bits that tend to go punky.....
Main problem I'm having with the current selection is the black mold, tends to migrate across and stain the other wood on some pieces, have had to bin several attempts as looking just dirty. Soaking in cellulose sealer near finish cut to seal it in and being very careful with sanding seems to work best.

______
______Captured a bit of todays sunshine I think.________Click on images for larger view.

___ ___ ___

_________Beech (199mm)________________Beech (195mm)________________Ash (125mm)

Superb pieces Chas .. ( From L-R ) are pics 1&2 the same bowl ..?
the link on the middle one appears not to be working at the minute !

I like the left one particularly.. fantastic undercut on the rim..
very attractive shape.

Whats the finish one these ones ?

Not a bad bit of production for the day, at all ! 8) 8) 8) 8)

Back