Turning Time in 2009

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
johnny.t.":3crtx6p6 said:
CHJ":3crtx6p6 said:
Must say surprised to hear you don't go below 320, I always go down to 600 as I can see fine marks left from the 400! Mind you I only hand sand so maybe a rotating head sanding thingy is in order. You say you use a friction driven sanding system, are you talking about something along the lines of the overpriced sorby velcro sanding arbour on a stick? Which could obviously be replicated for very little money.

I would not say that I do not go below 320 'full stop' Johnny, but not whilst doing standard rotary sanding, anything finer on most woods comes about by denibing, wet sanding etc. with fine (grey)Nyweb and or 400-600 papers whilst cleaning up any problem areas, even this is usually done stationary and using a rotary hand motion, most English woods I find don't give me a scratch problem, the Cherries on the other hand often give me "back chat" and frustration.

On the rotary sander front I use the tool provided by Grip-a-Disc, it's advantage is that it has sealed bearings and an easily lockable angle adjustment, it spins much freer than most systems allowing less pressure and less risk of deep scratches.

This old thread from 2005 may be of interest.

_________
___________My simple Sanding Station.

Chas, looking at your work something was at the back of my mind about your bowls. I ijust could not put a finger on what it was.
Then it struck me ,most of your bowls are the traditional shape curved bown to a wide base or foot or whatever they call it. In my short time at the beautyful spinny life most DVDs and gallerys I have seen all have the bowl curving down to a narrow foot where as yours have what to me is the more attractive cupped hands shape. I hope this does not offend you but this will be my goal from now on. It ia a lovely shape, and is used exstensivley in the Waterford Crystel range Thank you Chas, it took me a while and many visits to figure out Eureka. Roll on to morrow
REgards Boysie

Boysie, the general utilitarian shape of most of the bowls is down to the fact that they are made for daily use as opposed to just display where a narrow base can lead to spilling contents if care is not taken placing them down, on the whole the contact diameter is 1/3 the bowl diameter occasionally nearing 1/2.

_________ ___ ___
_______________Spalted Beech ____________________(232mm)

That is stunning Chas, what a nice piece of beech and a fine use of it too.
Can't really say much more than that, other than thanks for sharing.

JT

Beautiful looking piece Chas :D
I really do like the brown colour of this Beech.
Nice shape and i like the wide rim detail.Keep em coming :D

Now, that is a cracker 8)
The little undercut works for me too ... thats a beaut. 8) 8) 8)
Very nice Chas... Do you have a favourite timber, can I ask ? ... I always like what you do with the S/B ... have you had a big stockpile, or is S/B a particular favourite of yours.

Every piece you've shown in Spalted Beech is stunning...
and this one is no exception. Thats very nice indeed :) 8)

Jenx":z74pf9dm said:
.. Do you have a favourite timber, can I ask ? ...
No specific favourite Jenx, but do have a penchant for anything with distinctive figuring or colour variations.

Jenx":z74pf9dm said:
.... have you had a big stockpile, or is S/B a particular favourite of yours.
My main customer owns extensive Beech woodland so I have the privilege of dropping the odd hint that if output is to be maintained then a rummage in the 'non timber' woodpiles is in order. Working the spalted is rather a bizarre love hate thing, great pleasure if it can be mastered but it certainly stretches the composure curve at times when it is this far gone.

Excellent bowl Chas. Nice wood, nice form/design, and nice finish.

_________ ___
_______________Spalted Beech ____________________(151mm)

Don't get too close Chas or you know who might reject them. :lol:
Usual top quality, diiferent shape this time tho'.

Pete

Bodrighy":2b1vh1ho said:
Don't get too close Chas or you know who might reject them. :lol:
Usual top quality, diiferent shape this time tho'.
Pete

Funnily enough Pete, you know who wants more 'Rustic' ones, "got more character when they have warts and all" :roll:
As you might guess shape was down to finding enough wood between the holes.

Very nice Chas :D
Some of these rustic looking pieces are just too nice to discard,so it is always worth a go with em,i think.

_________ ___
____________Oak & Laburnum (75mm)______________Oak (270mm)

All of those pices are absolutely gorgeous. If you don't mind my asking, how did you dry them and what finish did you use? I'm trying to learn as much as possible to prevent to many future cracking problems.

Thanks
Struan

'Place witty comment here'

Latest posts

Back